LaptopVideo2Go Forums

DIMM slot or Memory Module damage

Guest j2as1o10hen1

Guest j2as1o10hen1

I have a low grade Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop comes with 256MB at PC2700 DDR wanted to upgrade so I put a PC2700 1GB module in, which is under the max upgrade allowed, worked for about a day and now only shows 256MB is running windows still starts up no black or blue screen wondering if someone knows how I could find out wether its a broken module or DIMM slot

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Do the built-in self-diagnostics so that it tests the RAM, or even try MemTest86+

Does it show 1GB available in the BIOS? if it does and Windows is only utilizing 256MB, try a re-install. If that doesn't help, it sounds like a hardware fault.

Does it have two DIMM slots? if so, try the 1GB module in the second slot to see if the laptop recognizes the full amount.

If that doesn't help, try a new stick of RAM or call Dell to get your motherboard replaced (if possible).

Edited by ®®®

Try reseating the RAM and cleaning both the RAM and mainboard connectors. Run latest version of MEMTEST v2.01 :)