LaptopVideo2Go Forums

4GB RAM limit in 32bit OS, PAE, DEP, 4GT

®®®

i did give 64 bit a 3 week try, and not only did i see higher ram usage (+5-15%), i noticed 15-25 fps lower in game! dont ask me why this occurred, because i have no clue... lol

only thing i can think of for the in-game slowdown is that the x64 drivers i got for my hardware weren't from dell, for my specific laptop. they were from a website of someone who had put a group of x64 drivers together for the hardware on the xps m1530, from other laptops and brand name updates. so maybe because the drivers weren't "optimized" for my specific laptop configuration, so were slower, and in turn slowed down my laptop...?

also a few programs seemed to be sluggish on vista x64, like aim and itunes for example...

Edited by Darmdorf

• 4 weeks later...

I have a HP Pavillion dv2745se laptop with the latest F. 24 BIOS and a 32-bit O/S (I use Vista but also dual-boot to XP for gaming) and I currently have 3GB of RAM. As far as I know 4GB is the max on 32-bit operating systems and I don't want to go out and buy a 64-bit. My processor supports 64-bit too, the AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60.

I want to know if I can add up to 4GB so that games and Aero will load faster on Vista Home Premium (maybe not a big amount of improvement because of the 7150M card, but still). Is it possible with the 32-bit O/S?

Edited by Shaythong

I want to know if I can add up to 4GB so that games and Aero will load faster on Vista Home Premium (maybe not a big amount of improvement because of the 7150M card, but still). Is it possible with the 32-bit O/S?

No, you'll need an OS that supports more than 4GB RAM to use it.

Edited by tcsenter

No, you'll need 64-bit OS to use all 4GB.

yea, unfortunately this little trick doesnt work...

youll have to get a x64 OS.

• 4 months later...

hi there:

I just upgraded my RAM from 2GB 677mhz to 4GB 800mhz.

the ram score was 4.8 and after installing 4GB the score is the same

5-3

4-8 ram

5-9

5-5

5-3

i have vista ultimate 64byte

anyone knows what's going on????

thanx

Getting faster RAM gives nothing, if you can't change the bus speed. 2 GB extra may give some speedup in real life.

so what about the score

and how to change the bus speed

Edited by G2S ASUS

G2S ASUS - I was looking at the same thing, quite a while ago adn unfortunatelly for me i figure that my mobo "Quanta 30CB is conscripted to 667 DDR2 Memory modules only". So i upgraded my memory regardless to 4GB but only 667MHZ, because it was mentioned in another post that if your motherboard doesnt support the 800MHZ it wont take the advantage of it... BTW my memory score is only 4.5 (2Kingston 667 modules dual channeled).

Hope that helps.

• 2 months later...
Guest Guest
There is no combination of boot switches or any other tricks to make 32-bit XP or Vista support more physical RAM with PAE than it does without PAE. The only thing that would accomplish this is to rewrite a significant portion of the OS kernel.

There are registry entries for Vista and 7 that set the limits to 4GB but these are protected from change. If you want to see how your 32-bit OS works with all 4GB the only thing that needs to be changed is 2 bytes in the kernel. It is also possible to enable more than 4GB just as easily :)