LaptopVideo2Go Forums

AVG and 7zip virus found issue

mobilenvidia

Some folk with AVG are reporting that the drivers have a virus.

I can assure this is an AVG issue not our drivers.

Found another issue over at 7zip where it looks to be AVG at fault.

I'd say the algorythm is a little too vigorous.

I run Nod32 and keep this up to date, and can assure you that No bugs get through.

Hopefully AVG will update their Virus DB or their algorythm to fix this issue.

Dunno heard good things about kaspersky, but then again its quite pricey

Yes I've been very impressed with NOD32, since switching from NAV and it's very resource hungry, in your face app.

Nod32 only pops up when a nasty is found and updates all nice and quietly (everyday I think)

I have really had some bad issues with AVG/AVGFree in the past and even I don't recommend them regardless of how many wanna-be PC Gurus promote and support them. I personally only recommend Norton or Symantec as they have the best quality. I don't care how invasive Norton/Symantec is to the system and how many resources it utilizes. I've had the fewest problems with Symantec/Norton products than any other Anti-Virus solution out there. You definitely get what you pay for. I was lucky and got a copy of Symantec Endpoint Protection for free through a promotional offer. It's the best AV solution I've ever used.

I use AVG free anti-virus and haven't had a problem. I have downloaded every driver since 169.04 and have had no viruses reported. On other site though I have gotten viruses and AVG found and removed them easily.

Well I used to use it till about 8 months ago when AVG did something to the free version that made it less system intrusive and less than reliable compared to it's retail version, but the free version missed a virus I was scanning for and the retail version hit it.

After that I decided to go back to Norton and oddly NAV found the same system to have at least 4 more viruses (low-level threats but still threats none the less) along with a Trojan and Spyware that had somehow been installed during my AVG Free days. NAV was used when I got a free offer through a friend for a retail version of SEP.

Believe me, I've tried them all from ClamAV, MacAfee, Kapersky, and even PC-Cillin, to Norton/Symantec, AVG Free and Retail, and even OneCare. I'll still say it after even trying all of them, I like Norton plain and simple. The heuretics and scanning adjustability are the best, the UI is easy to use and very user friendly even for beginner level PC users, and Symantec often has daily definition downloads for it's Antivirus and Spyware scanners. The next best two I'd recommend would be OneCare and Kapersky only due to the level of support the companies give for their products.

• 2 years later...

I see every person has a favourite program and so am i. kasperskyis the antivirus i use for a few years and it works properly so i recommend it:)

MS security essentials is free and seems nice and lightweight. To be honest i cant fault it so far. Kaspersky and avira are good products also, Norton has improved massively and should really lose its resource hog stigma.