LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Acer white screen problem solved

vampir

Hello!

I asked on this forum for help regarding driver problems on my Acer 5920g. Since no one had any idea how to solve it not only here but also on other sites and forums I want to share my solution with anyone who may still experiencing this problem.

Apparently some series of Acer notebook came with BAD_EDID laptop display. The only thing wrong is the checksum which is 9D and should be 1D. Powerstrip 3.76 (registered version) managed automatically to correct EDID.

There is no problem with drivers from 101.x series, but with any newer driver max. resolution is 1024x768 and the picture is in left upper corner of the screen with black bar on the right and smudged taskbar to the bottom of the screen. After installing and restarting resolution is set to 800x600 what results in white screen whit thick black bar slowly appearing on the screen.

I hope this will save someone some time, because I was about to send laptop to service when I figured that out. Contacting through e-mails and phones with acer and local authorized service didn't solve anything they just said that I should reset laptop to factory defaults, in other words don't install any new driver and everything will be fine.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would say install the powerstrip software he mentioned in his post, try that I guess!?!

• 3 months later...
Guest shivaram

Hello!

I asked on this forum for help regarding driver problems on my Acer 5920g. Since no one had any idea how to solve it not only here but also on other sites and forums I want to share my solution with anyone who may still experiencing this problem.

Apparently some series of Acer notebook came with BAD_EDID laptop display. The only thing wrong is the checksum which is 9D and should be 1D. Powerstrip 3.76 (registered version) managed automatically to correct EDID.

There is no problem with drivers from 101.x series, but with any newer driver max. resolution is 1024x768 and the picture is in left upper corner of the screen with black bar on the right and smudged taskbar to the bottom of the screen. After installing and restarting resolution is set to 800x600 what results in white screen whit thick black bar slowly appearing on the screen.

I hope this will save someone some time, because I was about to send laptop to service when I figured that out. Contacting through e-mails and phones with acer and local authorized service didn't solve anything they just said that I should reset laptop to factory defaults, in other words don't install any new driver and everything will be fine.

dear sir

i could not understand how to change check sum please i am having this problem & struggling to slove it for more than 15 days

pl main me step by step

thanks in advance

shisum@rediffmail.com

• 10 months later...
Guest Mark

Thanks OP, I'll see how this works.

Question: Do you need to have the program continually running for it to take care of the problem, or does it actually change something permanently? I see that Powerstrip is free only for a 30 day eval period, wondering if that means it'll stop working after.