LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Vsync under xp

Guest cojy

Hi everyone, I'm using the xp drivers given by this site and the modded inf . Everything's telling me that my screen is on 60Hz but ingame the max fps I can get is 50. The same games under vista are giving me 60fps.

Does anybody know what I could change to increase my fps under XP ?? thanks,

Cojy

what game are you testing this on? some games include some fps limitation, I know it can be done in Doom 3 Engine and Source engine, command is like fps_max <max fps you want>, look into the command list for the game you are trying here. BTW Vsync is another thing...

As I said, i've tried with the same game under xp and vista (counterstrike) started with the same executable. But all my games are limited to 50fps under XP.

Cojy

hum... no idea then, but 50fps is more thne enough....

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys, but you're mixing apples & oranges. The "SCREEN" refresh value you're seeing for your monitor is the number of times per second the monitor or lcd panel updates the image it displays, and is designed into it and thus normally not user-changeable. This means that the image it has received from the graphic card will be "painted" to the screen EXACTLY this number of times per second. The standard value is usually 60 frames per second for notebook lcd panels. CRT monitors can go as high as 100-120 Hz per second. The only advantage to a higher screen refresh rate would be if for some reason you were able to notice a flickering on bright, non-changing images. This can sometimes be a problem when the monitor is in a room with neon ceiling lamps which evidently flicker at half of the power line frequency [here in europe 25 cycles and 30 elsewhere]. The human eye is quite happy to view moving things with 24 frames per second, which is what movies and DVDs run at. There is thus absolutely no reason to WANT to change the screen refresh value [unless the viewing environment is very exotic].

When you're talking about the frame rate you achieve in a game, that is something QUITE different! The game generates suitable images or frames, which relate to the user input to produce the corresponding game action to be displayed [moving objects or camera pan, or whatever]. Each such consistent image is a complete frame which could be displayed by the graphic card [i.e. sent to the monitor], just like a frame from a film. Based upon the raw power of your cpu & graphic card combination, more or less game frames can be created per second depending upon the workload needed to calculate the individual image. Things like the resolution, game details, shading, lighting effects, and filtering all influence the work required to produce a single frame [i.e. a frame is rendered in computer graphics jargon]. When the program manages to render more than about 24 frames per second, the image appears smooth and without any jerkiness. If the rendered number of frames drops below this rate, you'll be complaining about how jerky things are and how bad your graphic card is and then most likely "what's wrong with this #### driver". Thus more than 24 frames per second is somewhat of a luxury and actually rather useless. Should the program be able to create frames at a rate higher than the monitors screen refresh rate, they will NEVER BE SEEN anyway since the monitor isn't "looking" any faster, so to speak. More FPS in a game is actually just another bragging point for the uninitiated. You merely have to have enough, as they say!

When you activate the "vertical sync[hronization]" feature in your graphic driver's control panel, you're basically telling the graphic driver it need not render frames quicker than the monitor will display them. That means that the 2 devices are "in-sync". Televisions all work this way for obvious reasons. The only real disadvantage of activating "vertical sync" is that it effectively "caps" the program's ability to chug away at generating new frames into the future [prerendering]. This little "freedom" can be very useful when the workload to render a frame varies greatly from frame to frame because of the varying game action, and may allow the program to maintain a seemingly constant and smooth output even though it sometimes stumbles while working on a tough one. Of course this only works when the cpu & graphic card have more than enough steam to handle the action --- on average.

And NO ---- "vertical sync" is NOT a feature of a particular operating system. Thus it works exactly the same way under XP or Vista.