LaptopVideo2Go Forums

nVidia 8700M GT nightmares

Martin S.

Hi. I have recently been setting up a new Dell M1730, with two 8700M GT cards. I thought these would be an improvement on my earlier 6800 Ultras, but there is one glaring and oft discussed fault: my screen is way to bright and washed out. I can correct this with the nVidia 'Adjust Desktop Colour Settings', but there is no way to make my preferences the default settings. If I reboot or even change video in WMP, I'm back to the horrible overbright screen again.

Read about a registry tweak (changing DisableApplyColorsAtStartup to a value of 1) but that hasn;'t worked. So, after hours at this, downloaded v163.69 drivers from this site, with the modified INF file. Drivers installed OK, but the situation is now even worse: changing the sliders in the nVidia colour settings now won't alter the screen brightness/contrast at all, so I am going to have to roll back to the Dell drivers.

I have wasted SO much time searching for a solution to this. I am going to e-mail Dell, but not hopeful at all they will resolve this of course. Anyone here able to suggest a solution? I assume that the inability of the graphics to remember the defaults I am trying to set up is the fault of the drivers???

Many thanks,

Martin

Have you tried installing the 169.28 drivers? Apparently these seem to be working well with sli cards. Did you buy a screen with Truelife glossy display?

Guest Martin S.

No, I'll try them. The screen's default settings make things look as if there's a grey mist across everything: changing the brightness/contrast etc. resolves this, as I say, but I need to reset this every five minutes (not literally - but it seems that way!0. It makes me angry that any manufacturer can put stuff out that behaves in this way!

M.

Joy, oh joy. The 169.28 drivers solve the problem. The laptop now keeps the settings I enter. Whoever produced these drivers deserves a medal. Many, many thanks. I am a very happy bunny!!

Martin :)

• 1 month later...

I was happy with these drivers, but I now see a big problem. Whilst using them, as advised, on my Dell XPS M1730 laptop I am getting frequent 'out of memory' errors in games (like Flight Simulator 2004).

FileMonitor shows that there is a persistent error with XP looking for a file nvcplenu.dll - which doesn't exist in the 69.28 download. ProcessExplorer shows the Working Set value for FS9.exe (FlightSim) slowly climb, presumably as a result of this constant search for nvcplenu.dll (?) and eventually my game crashes. I can open up NVidia Control Panel with no problem (presumably as nvcpl.dll is present.

I tried copying nvcpl.dll and renaming it nvcplenu.dll (hope against hope) but FileMonitor then shows 'nvcplenuenu.dll' as not found. I did install with the modified inf file, of course, BTW ...

So, I noticed other posts about this but no solutions. Is there one? Are there updates to 69.28 that will fix this problem? 69.28 was the only driver I found at the time that allowed the NVidia Control Panel to remember my preferred screen settings (colour etc.) and load them at reboot - the 'recommended' drivers on the Dell site won't do this, which is a real pain as I end up constantly resetting the screen options in NVCpl (settings that the M1730 defaults to are way to bright and pale).

I'd be really grateful for advice here as I am fed up of my games freezing up or crashing (I have 2GBs of RAM, testing fine in Mem86). Are there improved drivers since 69.28 that will work on my laptop?

Thanks,

Martin

.. for 69.28, obvioulsy read 169.28 !! :-)