LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8400M GS Energy Saving

Breece

First thing to do is probably say hello to all of you :P

I bought an XPS M1330 from Dell, it hasn't shipped yet but I am already trying to tweak it :) A friend of mine already got one, so we are optimizing.

Well the plan is to get it as silent and energy efficient as possible. We've come to the point where the 8400M GS gets too hot and

a) sucks more power then needed, while being on the desktop and

:) gets too hot which causes the fan to go off...

It seems, that the "Powermizer" does not really do his job in the low - 3D environment.. Is there any driver that works very well with the Powermizer or is "Energy efficient" by itself? We have tried a couple of drivers, but are not satisfied yet.

In addition to that we would actually like to underclock the graphics card by changing the voltage. Got any information on that for me ?

Thank you for your help! :P

Breece

I got some new information on the powermizer problem. It seems that in Vista the user cannot directly control Powermizer. This is due to the drivers I think? Will there be drivers that enable full control of Powermizer, as in XP?

Thanks again

Breece

Well tried Windows XP now..But the Powermizer still does not change the voltage of the 8400M GS.. This seems to be the main problem.

Is it generally possible to change the volting / undervolt the 8400M GS?

It helps a little bit bust does not change the problem much... The clocks are going down with the powermizer, but I need to change the voltages...

I do not really understand why that is not possible?