LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Question on GeForce 7150M

Horngod

I recently bought an HP Pavillion 6704nr just this past weekend actually. I ran some games like KOTOR2 and UT2k4 and it was running really really well... Then... just today and maybe yesterday too, I played some, and it was very VERY laggy... I dont know whats wrong with it. It might have had something to do with the windows updates because I saw something that was NVIDIA in the install history. Please help? It was running great up till now. I even set BIOS to 128MB memory. Nothing seems to work. Again, it was playing games at full textures and such just a few days ago, but not anymore. Thanks!

edit: ok I tested out UT2k4, and it was running exactly fine. highest res, and maxed out settings and was getting around 60fps. (very impressive even for a card like this!)

But only KOTOR2 is now running slowly. Ive also gotten a bunch of "program not responding correctly" messages when starting up the game. I dunno what's wrong with that though. If my laptop can run UT2k4 at full, then it should have no problem running KOTOR2.

Edited by Horngod

Windows probably installed their lastest driver for your video card, which is probably much older than the one you had preinstalled by HP on your laptop. I guess you should try installing the driver from the HP website or even try Dell's 167.45 driver from here with the mod. inf.

Edited by jtrot1000

wait that driver 167.45 doesnt support the 7150M. What is the latest driver you know of that is safe to use on this. Because I just checked that my driver version is 167.43.

So I updated the driver to 167.58 and everything runs smoother. KOTOR still runs a lot smoother than it was, but its very very choppy when walking around. I dunno why. It was working fine the day I bought it.

Edited by Horngod

wait that driver 167.45 doesnt support the 7150M. What is the latest driver you know of that is safe to use on this. Because I just checked that my driver version is 167.43.

Most of the HP/Compaq laptops I've checked with the 7150M graphics up to yesterday come pre-loaded with 156.65. It is available from the HP website

Duke

hm... Im gonna try that maybe. But I am now on 167.58. So I dunno. What's the best driver for gaming if anyone knows? Thanks!

oh and I cant find anything on the HP site. can you link me the driver? Thanks.

Edited by Horngod

I tried to install the 156.65, and my computer had a black screen when starting up that it would shut off and not start vista. I had to safe mode and roll back. So that's not a good sign... I just want the best real HP update.

Edited by Horngod

I tried to install the 156.65, and my computer had a black screen when starting up that it would shut off and not start vista. I had to safe mode and roll back. So that's not a good sign... I just want the best real HP update.

Here is a link to the HP website for the NVidia 7150m driver.

HP 156.65 Driver

It is listed for the the model DV6704nr. The INF for this driver lists the 7000m, but the DV6704nr has the 7150m in it. I can find nothing listed for a model 6704t, so I don't think that is the full model number. If you can post the complete model number I can do some searching, but I believe this to be the correct driver.

Duke

yes thank you so much! Yeah i wrote the wrong laptop model #. It is the 6704nr. :-) I'll test it out now. Thanks again!!!

Sadly... when I ran that update, I got the black screen that wont turn on the computer. I had to reset to last known good configuration in safe mode window. I dunno why I cant update... I am right now on 167.58. I dunno if I can just roll back the drivers. I dunno how really. how do I rollback manually? and I hear that if I uninstall the drivers, my computer will get nerfed.

I have an HP Pavillion dv9628nr And it came with 167.43 driver installed.

So there is a better one out the but it is not on hp's website.

I can run Battlefield 2 on my laptop quite well.

• 4 weeks later...
I have an HP Pavillion dv9628nr And it came with 167.43 driver installed.

So there is a better one out the but it is not on hp's website.

I can run Battlefield 2 on my laptop quite well.

I don't understand this. You have the DV9628NR and I have the DV6710EA, which from looking at those specs seem almost identical in terms of gaming needs yet you can play BF2 and I can't even play Peggle Extreme without it lagging real bad.

Surely there is something I'm doing wrong here??

• 2 months later...
Guest dsfargeg

i'm having the same problem, but my nvidia control panel says i have forceware 175.12 installed (fvck knows?!). and any rollback/update/downgrade i attempt results in the restart loop of fail. hp's official update won't even go. i'm considering just a system restore but this far into a new laptop, i'm not impressed hp. unless someone on here actually does know...