LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GeForce 8400m G

Guest Furl_Hawkens

Guest Furl_Hawkens

Hello,

I have an Acer Aspire 7520-5311 with a dedicated nVidia GeForce 8400m G graphics card. The card has 256mb of dedicated video memory and has the turbocache for up to another 768mb, for a total shared memory of 1024mb. This is my laptop, running windows Vista, 32bit home premium. Now I konw that the 8400m G is by no means the performance and gaming mobile solution. I also have a desktop running XP Pro and a Geforece4 Ti-4200 AGP.

Now for the problem. I am a HALO fan, and thus I like Halo for PC. I purchased this laptop for multimedia purposes, knowing that the card proble couldnt handle much, but also knowing that it was a GeForce8 series, in comparison to the 4 series i was using. On my desktop I can run halo for PC maxed out on ALL settings at 1280 X 1024 smoth and nice. It actualy looks pretty good for its age, lol. Now i was thinking, "sure, this is an 8 series card, it should handle this fine, its also a dual core processor, and PCIe, and SATA, etc. Far better than my destop work horse." so I installed HALO on the laptop.

Halo on the laptop runs... barely. I have to bottem EVERYTHING out and run at 640 X 480. So I updated to the forcware 169.04 drivers, thinking "there has to be something wrong with the acer drivers, this card is still atleast twice that of my 4 series". Still no luck, so i went searching. After trying 5 diferent drivers, the 101.54 Version that came from acer and the 167.45, 167.55, 169.04, 169.09 from this site i have had 3D marks from 1026 to 1183.

What am I doing wrong? 1193 from the 167.55 dirvers is the best I can get. Why is this. I have tried three difernt driver install methods, 1) Uninstall, reboot, manualy install. 2) Uninstall, reboot, use the setup.exe install option. 3) go to device manager and "Update" using the have disk method.

None of this helps. Please, if anyone knows of dirvers that will help me, or any other way to get more performance out, please tell me. And yes, I know that going to XP will help, but I dont have a legal copy. So i'm stuck with vista, and unable to play a game that is supoes to runn on a 733MHz processor with a Geforce3 32MB card on a laptop that has a 1.9GHz dual core processor and a Geforece 8 256MB card. Where is the problem.

-Furl Hawkens

What am I doing wrong? 1193 from the 167.55 dirvers is the best I can get. Why is this. I have tried three difernt driver install methods, 1) Uninstall, reboot, manualy install. 2) Uninstall, reboot, use the setup.exe install option. 3) go to device manager and "Update" using the have disk method.

Sorry to say, probably nothing bigger wrong - I've seen 8400 do mostly 1200-1300 benchmarks.

Also you can look here to compare:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphi...List.844.0.html

(number 53 and 55 on this list)

my acer 4520G nVidia GeForce 8400m G can get up to 1556 3dmark06

best driver 169.04

you need at least 2gb ram on vista if you want to play

overclock it at least 500/500, i feel that 8400M G is underclocked on acer laptops

i can run most new games with 1280x800 with low, except crysis, sometimes the native resolution is faster than lower resolution settings

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...