LaptopVideo2Go Forums

v173.80 VISTA 32bit | Desktop/Mobile

mobilenvidia

9 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied by the quality of this driver and can you recommend it for other users?

• No
    • Yes
    • Yes, even though i noticed a few bugs.

It's strange, but I have 8600M GT and all drivers 167.xx-173.xx work just fine on my laptop, no BSOD and all of them let OC. maybe you are installing them improperly?

1) Remove through add/remove "nvidia drivers".

2) Restart

3) Install new drivers using "Have disk" method only!

4) Restart again.

When following this method I didn't have a single problem.

My ASUS G2S, GeForce 8600M GT 260mb:

3DMark 2006 Pro 1.1.0, 1280x854, Aero ON, no overclock:

167.58 = 4226

169.25 = 4223

173.80 = 4319

To install, first uninstall with the normal uninstaller, reboot. Then, use Driver Cleaner.NET 3.2.1.0, em select nVidia and nVidia Control Panel. Wait until it finish. Reboot, and install the new driver.

I recommend this driver for GeForce 8600M GT 256mb! :)

Guest googler

Well I am now having an issue where almost everytime I close the lid to make the computer sleep, it just will not actually sleep. Screen turns off and all that, but the lights stay on on my HP dv9644ca. So then i have to restart to get back into windows. I have been trying many drivers, so I think I may have to clear out all the drivers, so can anyone tell me how, thanks!

Do you have an Intel Turbo memory module installed? My laptop won't go to sleep when I have the "Windows ReadyDrive" enabled in the Intel turbo memory console. SP1 is supposed to fix this :) (Ihave SP1 insatlled and still no fix). I don't think its graphics card related as all of the drivers I have tried from the original 156.54 that came with the laptop to the 173.80 I've got from here, they all do exactly the same thing.

Hey I have a toshiba x200-15 laptop with gforce 8700m GT but gears of war work kinda s***ty. so i tried 167.45 drivers but the program says my driver is uptodate. anyhow, can someone tell me which drivers should I use and what's the difference between nvidia drivers (series 160.xx) and this forceware??

thank you

This driver seems quicker than 167.45 and also seems to run a bit cooler during games. However it runs hotter on desktop (173.80 = 58C vs 167.45 = 51C. Not sure if that is a good thing as I don't play games that often...

Edited by WetSawdustDemon

Guest googler
Do you have an Intel Turbo memory module installed? My laptop won't go to sleep when I have the "Windows ReadyDrive" enabled in the Intel turbo memory console. SP1 is supposed to fix this :) (Ihave SP1 insatlled and still no fix). I don't think its graphics card related as all of the drivers I have tried from the original 156.54 that came with the laptop to the 173.80 I've got from here, they all do exactly the same thing.

Well I don't have turbo memory installed, so that is probably not the issue for me. And I have tried reverting to older graphics drivers like 169.09 and even the official Window update one which I believe is 167.43. The issue for me started when I installed 171.16 drivers, then every week or so it would not sleep, but now it is almost everytime. The only time that it works is when I turn it on (after it goes into its comma), and then I put it into sleep again. So I will try a few things like removing all the old drivers, and such. And I guess if it comes down to it, I may just have to reformatt, though that will be annoying.

If you can't OC, check to see if you're using a modded BIOS, specifically one from JUANLU that unlocked the frequencies. That worked pre-169.04, but afterwards it actually breaks it.

And im using juanlu bios :)

so thats why it doesnt work...but how can i overclock without the juanlu bios ?

Is there any other bios out there??

I just love this driver

My 3dmark 2006 dropped from 4200 to 4100 but the Crysis' frames per second increased by 3 (average 24.5 fps) which is great. :)

That was with the Crysis Benchmark tool in DX9 with the gpu benchmark.

Now I can play it at full resolution 1280x800 in High settings (Shaders, Objects and Shadows to Medium) in Dx9 mode but with no AA or AF. I just love this drivers. :P

I haven't tested them with any other game though.

My laptop is the Acer 5920G and the card is 8600M GT overclocked with ntune at Core 630 / Memory 460.

The only bad thing is, whenever I restart the laptop, I have to put the overclocking settings again, the ntune doesn't store them. And I can play the game for 2 full hours, then it goes to stock frequencies for low 3d performance even though the temp is around 83-86oC! It says that the nvdkmm (something like that) driver stopped responding. If I restart the problem is fixed and I can play for another 2 hours. :)

hey, first time posting here, but been using this site since i got my laptop :)

anyway, i have an Acer Aspire 5920g with an 8600m gt. i have tried pretty much every release since the 167 series, and this is the best driver ive found. i dont have any benchmark numbers, but all my games run smoother. it fixed an annoying stuttering problem i had in several games. fyi, i also tried the 173.90 and got roughly the same performance, but the UI flickered in all my games.

Drivers - OC Speed - 3DMark06 @ 1280x800

v171.16 - 620/1240/750 - 5321

v173.65 - 620/1240/750 - 5377

v173.80 - 620/1240/750 - 5418

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/6387/pict0156lx0.jpg

Best driver so far :)

thanks to you i tried the driver for my laptop. very good driver for 8600M GT

no overclock - 3DMark06 (1280 x 800)

169.28 - 4450

173.80 - 4510 :)

i will try 174.12 later

Edited by unlogic

I installed this driver because gears of war wouldn't load on my laptop. I got the needed higher driver error as well. I have an HP DV6768se with the GF 8400M GS, 2G RAM, AMD Dual Processor, and i still have issues loading the game, it gets to the main menu then says the game quit working. Any suggestions as I thought this driver might fix the issue. I replaced the game as well, no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated as im hesitant to buy any other games if this one won't load.

ASUS G2S

Windows Vista Ultimate 32bits SP1 Final

nVidia Driver v173.80

3dMark2006 Professional 1.1.0

GeForce 8600M GT 256MB

3dMark06 - 1024x768, AERO ON, NO overclock @ 475/700 Mhz = 4963

1024aeronooverzz3.th.jpg

3dMark06 - 1024x768, AERO ON, Overclock 570/810 Mhz = 5762 :)

1024510810aeroqk6.th.jpg

Really good driver... pretty stable... I'll try the new ones later...

Edited by MeGa.BR

Seems to be very stable and gives better performance than 169.28, hopefully it will fix my g1s's problem of not hibernating properly.

• 4 months later...
Guest Amit

Hi All,

I am very new to this forum. I have read and gone thru all the NVIDIA drivers stuff that left me very much confused about the driver that I should use. I own a SONY AR51J with NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT 256mb card. Uptill now it has the default OEM driver (SONY). I have played thru Call of Duty 4 Mordern warfare (on medium details setting) without any problems or hangovers etc (I finished it with in 8hrs :) ).

Then i went on to a more demanding game CRYSIS, even on low detail settings at 800x600, frame breaks and the game is slow. At this time i thought of getting an upgraded graphics drivers and I found this amazing website. The only problem I am facing now is that I am in a ocean of information and drivers and do not know what version/driver should I use to upgrade !!!!!! I am using Vista 32bit Home Premium.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Amit

cool will this increase my 8400m gs performance in crysis?

Guest Amit

Try 175.19, I bet you will love these. These are officially released drivers for 8xxxx series. :)

Doesnt matter, either you can download it from Nvidia website or from here, just replace the modded inf and enjoy.

These should give you higher quality along with performance. :)