LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Medion laptop with graphical probs

Guest Kenwood96

Guest Kenwood96

Dearest guys,

you are my last hope!!

When i try to play directx games, the game plays smooth, and then suddenly starts to drastically cut on framerate, usually i hear the harddrive "click" when he does that.

In a few minutes when i continue to play, suddenly the framerate boosts and everything is normal again...

tried (almost) everything: new install, xp pro, home sp1, all possible updateable drivers (sound, ide,....), your drivers and still no solution!!

It's driving me into madness?

any idea's

btw: it seems if i change from "acpi" to "standard pc" driver in win, the problems gone...

Is my pci latency too high? (not configurable in bios)

throttling/heat problem?

help would be nice!!

txn! :roll:

It sounds like the laptop is getting hot and slowing down to cool off. There are a couple of handy tools, SpeedswitchXP and FanGUI, which can help you diagnose and control this feature. They're written for DELL Inspiron 8600 laptops but seem to work for many other machines. They can be downloaded from http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/

Guest Kenwood96

the only thing that can be read from the laptop is the temp of the HD, almost alle the time between 32 C° en 45C°

I had speedswitch running already, making no difference whatsoever.

Fangui can't read anything from the laptop, only the HDD temp.

I can see though that the laptop, even with speedswitch enabled and at max performance, it still drops the freq. of the cpu to 1200mhz. while playing games.

Could this be fixed with another driver that doesn't allow throtthling?

tnx...

Throttling can be caused by two things: Low load, which is what speedswitch controls, and heat. In cases where fans aren't doing the job, throttling is probably required, which I believe is what you're seeing. Maybe a different driver would control it, but I'd check for a dead fan first.

I had heard that the P4 driver that comes with Windows XP doesn't support SpeedStep and runs at full speed all the time. But if you've tried Windows ME and still have the same problem, I'm mystified, since I'm sure ME doesn't support SpeedStep either. Does the manufacturer have any forums where you can find out if others are having this problem?

• 2 weeks later...
it seems if i change from "acpi" to "standard pc" driver in win, the problems gone...  

Since we don't know the really reason why your laptop is stuttering and slowing down, i would suggest the following way:

Can you access the ACPI feature in your BIOS? Disable it and then try again to clean install XP and press F5 during setup in the VERY beginning and select "Standard PC".