LaptopVideo2Go Forums

v174.12 VISTA 64bit | NVIDIA

la.ultima

4 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied by the quality of this driver and can you recommend it for other users?

• No
    • Yes
    • Yes, even though i noticed a few bugs.

Guest Swoley2k

I can confidently say that these are very good and thought out drivers. The control panel responds better when changing settings such as resolution, managing displays, and also changing the scaling. Also, im not sure if this was in earlier 170 series drivers but CUSTOM RESOLUTIONS are back in the control panel. In previous drivers I was getting some frame drops (some not a lot) in call of duty 4 multiplayer. I was suprised to go into call of duty 4 after installing these drivers to find that the frame drop did not exists. I had exact spots on 3 maps that I test for the frame drop at. Its very nice. Nvidia seems to be going in the right direction now by working on performance (fps) as well as functionality (custom resolutions back). Even though I had to add the 8600M GT lines to the .inf file this driver is very good. I didnt want to notice this at the beginning of this post but this also netted me an average gain of 30 pts in 3DMark06. I say average because I run the test 3 times for comparing different drivers. If you are tired of waiting though numerous small driver number changes for a solid release, I think this driver is it. There really is improvements in this driver!

Thanks nvidia!

Now the issue is getting nvidia to refix the nvidia control panel vsync not working that Vista SP1 broke again...which shouldnt be too difficult considering nvidia fixed it shortly after Vista was first released. I just though microsoft would have paid more attention and not broken it again after the small uproar a year ago.

Trying these out my self and noticed some new settings in TV settings

Using my 8800m gtx I'm not able to get nTune to overclock with these for some reason. It only let me set it under the 500/800 stock. After setting it to 495/795 I can't set it back to defaults...

Ok I can reset it to defaults (needed a reboot). I still can't get it to clock over defaults though.

I also have GPU-Z and NVMonitor reporting all sorts of weird clock speeds.

GPU-Z always says 383/300, but under sensors tab shows different values like 200/100, 383/300, 500/799, 275/300. NVMonitor also displays the same inconsistent values that the GPU-Z sensor tab shows...

I'm not sure what to believe. Note that I was getting these same clock speed sensor issues with 169 drivers.