LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Stable driver for 8600M GT

Oldboy

First of all, thank you so much for all the drivers we get here. Some people would really be screwed if they had to rely on their laptop manufacturer updating drivers...

What I need advice with: I have an Acer Aspire 5920 with an 8600M GT 512MB DDR2 RAM. Now, I have been trying various drivers from laptopvideo2go and I always seem to get one of three issues:

1st: With all games, sometimes the screen goes black for 5-10 sec, then everything returns to normal with Windows Vista tray icon saying that "the display driver somehow stopped working and had to be repaired". This is VERY annoying.

2nd: Drivers that do NOT do the above, somehow can not regulate fan speed. The GPU Fan would switch on and off at a really annoying rate, sometimes going on for 2 sec, off for 2 sec, on for 2 sec, etc. This is even MORE annoying than the black screen.

3rd: Minor issue, but still. The only driver I found not doing either of the above, broke the s-video out. Since I often hook up my laptop to the good old analogue TV, this is also annoying, but still the only thing I would rather live with (since I can install a different driver if I really want to do something on the TV).

If anyone can recommend a good and stable driver (and there are tons, I haven't tested them all) for this graphics card or a similar setup at least. I would be very grateful. I don't care much for the "omfg it's 0.1 more on the Vista index" or "omfg I get 2 more fps in this or that game" as long as the driver does not crap out on me at random intervals, nor should it ###### up fan behavior or needlessly warm up the GPU. If S-video out works, that would be a nice addition, but not as important.

Thank you for your help!

Well, i stay with the basic dell drivers, 156.69, and they're very stable.

Of course,they're not the latest, nor the very best, but they work fine.

(i have the same GC as you, only DDR3)

Hi everyone,

I have also bought an Acer Aspire 5920g. I am trying to run Windows XP instead of Windows Vista, but although every driver on my laptop seems to work perfectly, I can not change the monitor refresh rate (it is stuck at 60 hz).

I have installed every available forceware driver from LaptopVideo2Go, but the problem persists. I have concluded that the problem is not actually the driver version but the fact that my laptop does not recognize its monitor type (it only installs the plug-and-play monitor driver).

I have already tried coolbits, nvtweak, nvtray, powerstrip and ntune. I have also disabled the Vsync option, I have selected best performance than quality(nvidia control panel) and I have tried to force the new refresh rate using nvtray. None of these actions fixed the problem.

Any recommendations ?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Stavros

Perhaps someone with a meaningful and on-topic suggestion?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

Well, I've also got the 8600M GT, and im using 167.58 (64bit Vista), which besides being very stable (for me at least, don't know about other people's experiences), also gives me the best performance of all the drivers i have tried out (about 10-20). I've also tried the 167.59 but it doesn't allow alot of screen resolutions, so I would definitely recommend the 167.58

• 1 month later...
Guest scessor

I have bought Acer5920. Unable to install Redhat and other linux since its asks for the driver to update. Help me out in getting linux device driver for TOSHIBA_MK1646GSX hard disk.

While Installing it stops at detecting hardware and asks for device driver to update. Please help me out.

Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Guest

I use a Asus G2 series notebook. 32 bit. I get the 'Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has recovered.' thing. I use a nVIDEA GeForce 8600M GT graphics card. What should I do? My game keeps crashing.

Guest Razhel

Hey guys. I've been trying to download the different drivers for my Geforce 8600M GT. But non of them seems to work

When I try to install them it always says:

The NVIDIA Setup could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardwear. Setup with now exit.

Can someone please help me. I've been trying to figure this out for months.

What about reading the forum FAQs?

• 2 years later...

Hey everyone, I've been trying to find a solution to this and havent been able to. I have an alienware m15x with a 8600m gt card and keep getting the driver error, how can I use the drivers on this site with an alienware laptop? I've tried updating at nvidias website but their drivers do not work properly with alienware, the install but are messed up, I have to use alienware drivers supposedly. please help if you can

• 1 month later...
Guest El_Bartos

The day before yesterday, I installed the latest officel driver -> 266.58. Before that, I was using 185.85

I wished I haden't done that... Afer 10 years, I still play RTCW: Enemy Territory almost daily. Today the first time with the new drivers -> after an hour my Acer 5920G froze. I reboot and start the game again. After 5min the sound starts going crazy en my screen is like running through room with only a stroboscoop for the light-effects.

I think I'm going back to 185.85...