LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Acer Aspire 5520 302G16

Felix_1990

Hello guys.I have Acer Aspire 5520 302G16 with Nvidia GeForce 8400M G video.Is it possoble to upgrade it to 8600M GS ?

Thanks

If someone know please write here or in msn: rfocomua@hotmail.com

Hello guys.I have Acer Aspire 5520 302G16 with Nvidia GeForce 8400M G video.Is it possoble to upgrade it to 8600M GS ?

Thanks

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=17040

I think you should wait the 9600M-GT, it's probably goin' to be MXM-II, that's what i'm doing :)

Thanks

It may be possible - the 8400m G in your unit might be an MXM type 2 format and the approach listed in A Civilised Man's post might work - using the specific ASUS 8600m GT card - that's the closest to a confirmation I guess you'll get, as the approach required to get this to work speaks to these models not being fully MXM compliant, but enough for the approach below to work. There are also models of 5520s that have onboard graphics (I believe these are listed as having 7000m graphics) meaning some units likely do not have an MXM connector at all - these will definitely not work with the approach below.

Re what MXM is - see www.mxm-upgrade.com. This is the source in regarding MXM in this context.

As this is very much DIY, you take on all the risk in doing it: you may need to take to your heat sink with a dremel (as I did for my 5520G 401G16), and possibly even only opening the back of your laptop will void your warranty (let alone replacing the GPU) and you may destroy the new ASUS card or your laptop in the process. Even if the replacement works, as the cards run hotter, you are likely lowering the overall life of your laptop due to the increased heat stresses - as this approach was only recently proven, no one knows how much it will impact the laptop's lifespan. Also, without appropriate care I'm sure it would be possible to cause yourself harm doing this - say by inhaling the smoke on a cooked chip or starting a fire due to inappropriately applied thermal compound. That said, the 8600m GT is significantly better than the 8400m G - with a minimal amount of overclocking I'm seeing 4000+ 3dmark06 and now hit 5.1 for Aero and 5.4 for 3d games under Vista's Windows Experience Index (graphics are no longer the short stick on my unit, with hdd and stock clocked CPU leaving me at 4.8 overall). This is contrasted with 3.1 Aero performance on the stock 8400m G 128MB in my config.

From your response to A Civilised Man's post, I thought I'd summarise what was being trail blazed in that thread below - however there is no way to abstract away from these details if you intend to do this yourself.

First thing to do is, once you are comfortable that your warranty will be voided with the upgrade, is to open the back cover (with the RAM icon) and check to see if the card looks similar to the one posted here http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....ost&id=1948

Then you need to obtain:

• an ASUS 8600m GT mxm card - noting that this has only been successfully completed to date using the "ASUS NVIDIA 8600M GT 512MB GDDR2 Video Card" model (90-C1CIZ5-JXBN00Z) that is for the ASUS C90S Notebook (and not the DDR3 variant).
  • four "M2.5x6" bolts - in order to use the existing heatsink with the new card as the existing card's bolts are too small and the ASUS card's are not long enough.
  • thermal compound cleaner, such as ArctiClean
  • thermal compound such as AS5
  • Acer 8600m GT 512 MB VBIOS file, to allow the ASUS card to understand how to communicate with the laptop.
  • USB drive with bootable Windows 98-based DOS image (don't know about other approaches such as bartpe - should work)
  • a Recent copy of nvflash
  • you'll also need anti-ESD precautions such as antistatic mat and wrist strap, and some small screw drivers.
  • Access to a dremel like tool if needed

There are a number of steps you need to undertake once you have these - remove the fan, heat pipes and heat sinks from the CPU, MCP chip and graphics card. You'll then need to remove the thermal compound, check the GPU heatsink for size, test-install the card and make sure the machine boots - and possibly flash it at the same time, possibly dremel your heatsink if it doesn't fit the new card, apply new thermal compound to CPU, MCP and GPU, bolt the GPU heatsink on, bolt the CPU heatsink on, put the fan back in and then wait 200hours (depending on thermal compound) before you really stress the unit out.

You may also need to blind flash the card - as A Civilised Man's 7720g experience illustrated. Without his perseverance, most others would have given up at the point where nothing displayed on screen.

Edited by muppet

Ok,i have photo of card

Is this 8600M GT what i need?

GT with 256mb and GDDR3 will work? :)

post-21319-1203681514_thumb.jpg

Edited by Felix_1990

Ok,i have photo of card

Is this 8600M GT what i need?

GT with 256mb and GDDR3 will work? :)

Not sure about GDDR3 with the VBIOS flash approach (there is an ASUS DDR3 people are looking to use) - but there's only one way to find out...

Not sure what you are showing in the photo - is that the new card? It has a serial on it that is for the Acer "VGA Board NB8P/GS/256Mb w/HDCP " (if Acerparts is correct - might not be) which I understand from the description is the 8600m GS 256. It shouldn't need a flash if it's original Acer though...

Edited by muppet

I think you should wait the 9600M-GT, it's probably goin' to be MXM-II, that's what i'm doing :)

Assuming Acer come out with a 9600m variant for a model in the 5520/5920/7720 range to use the vbios from and ASUS or someone make an MXM type II card available for purchase.

Amm i got it from LG Service Center....

Lates news...

LG Service tell me that its 256mb DDR 2... Ok,so i replace my old card to this one... I go to Bios and it shows me that i have 256MB of video ram,then i tryed to load Windows,but on loading window with windows icon laptop turnoff(restart)... Then i replace 8400 back and windows work... Any ideas?

Have you tried to flash your BIOS ? Other guys have had the same problem, and it has solved it.

Edited by Hoffa

Ok so that's the problem. Do you know wich BIOS version you currently have ?

Uh... I don't really remember, did it once... :)

And wich OS do you have ?

Ok... You could try the v1.30 BIOS. I'm not a BIOS expert, so don't do anything if you don't know what you're doing. :)

I saw Version: 60.84.50.00.02 on thechpowerup ... is it good or not :S http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/index.p...=&memSize=0 I wonna find same Bios as Tvone2 have

As noted you're running a bit off script as this has only been proven to work with an ASUS 8600mGT 512MB DDR2 card to date. From your posts it would seem you are trying to put in a (LG?) 8600m GS 256MB DDR2 that coincidentally has the same SKU as the same Acer replacement part. I assume because you don't have the ASUS card at this point in the process you need to forge ahead with the one you have purchased... though it may not be too late to return it if you haven't flashed the vbios or damaged it etc.

So -

None of the vbios files I can see in the database you reference are for an Acer 8600m 256MB GS variant.

The logic behind why the specific vbios was used is probably more important to keep in mind - it was the closest Acer 8600m variant found in a range of Acer laptops hoped to have as close as possible screen config as the 5520.

Keeping this in mind I'd hold out on finding the Acer 8600m GS 256MB vbios file - which should exist as that configuration is available for sale in the Aspire 5920 range of laptops (5920G-302G16Mi on a Russian site). It's just probably not available on the site you referenced...

You may need to go to a wider audience asking for this vbios though - it will likely get missed in this thread given the specific focus of this forum.

Edited by muppet

why not ask a bios in this forum, most people have your card, like benny, like muppet said, you already have an acer mxm card, it should have worked the first time, possibility that it has been flashed with a different manufacturers bios, if you put in the 8600M GS, can you go to bios screen? what is the vgpu version?

Mmm,i ask in rus forum about this bios,but guys from LG says that the card is NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT (256MB VRAM, *TurboCache Technology) So i need some bios files :)

p.s amm this card is from LG S900-U.CP18R1 laptop..can bios from this laptop be used on my acer?

p.s.s also have DELL bios for 8600M GT 256MB will it work? :)

Edited by Felix_1990