LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Acer Aspire 5520 302G16

Felix_1990

Donno :) I'm testing it now...Trying to put LG card in my acer...

Hmmm,i put my new card in slot,run Command promt,run nvflash 1.rom and it shows me same errors as yours,BUT.. It always turn off my laptop in some period of time and i even sometimes can't type nvflash -4 -5 -6 1.rom,but 1 time i enter it and it ask me few time something i type Y(yes) than it tell me wait till all finish but as always laptop turn off...I put old card and all ok Oo

Mmm,i ask in rus forum about this bios,but guys from LG says that the card is NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT (256MB VRAM, *TurboCache Technology) So i need some bios files :P

p.s amm this card is from LG S900-U.CP18R1 laptop..can bios from this laptop be used on my acer?

p.s.s also have DELL bios for 8600M GT 256MB will it work? :)

Simple answer re. the LG and DELL video bios - I wouldn't use anything but an Acer vbios of similar type to your card.

Slightly longer answer :)

There are two parts to MXM - the physical aspects (card size, pin outs, heat output etc) and the actual way it integrates at a video bios level with the target system.

Physical:

At the physical level there are a number of "Types" specified - generally we've found that the Acer 5520 with dedicated graphics can take MXM Type II and Type I (the original card).

As you've observed, the MXM type II cards fit physically in the 5520 and we've seen that the heat output is manageable from an ASUS 8600mGT.

Software:

The second part is the low level software aspect - the MXM software specification requires a way for the system to tell the card what capabilities it has. The mainboard is required to make this information available either through a function on the mainboard's BIOS or through a special ROM chip on the mainboard. There are a number of versions of this software specification and in my testing I've found evidence to suggest the Acer 5520g at least has some identifiable aspects of version 2.x.

However in my testing I was unable to find either of the software spec mechanisms required of the mainboard. The assumption is therefore that the Acer cards for this range instead have this information hard-coded in their vbios. This is likely the reason we needed an Acer vbios of a similar Acer card/similar laptop to allow the new card to work. There may be a chance that another vendor uses the same approach and hard codes the *same* information as the Acer cards in their vbios - however I wouldn't chance it.

Also the ASUS card's vbios we used runs in a minimal mode that allows for flashing of the new bios. As flashing is facilitated by the vbios already running on the card, this may not be the case with the LG vbios.

Finally, if you are instead referencing the use of the LG's system mainboard BIOS (not video BIOS) in your post above - I would stay well clear of that!

Edited by muppet

Latest news...

Test results :)

LG video don't work with Acer 5520!Card burned after ~15 boots(even when you in bios,laptop turn off,i think it search hardware and then it turn off cause off card)....With new card i got black sceen when turn on laptop,with old card all good :) Heh,so i think i will change it to 5920 laptop