LaptopVideo2Go Forums

XPS M1730 and CRYSIS

fleven_2001

For this test i have had a few criteria:

1: i can enable and disable SLI WITHOUT restarting (i use a dual monitor setup at work)

2: i can play CRYSIS on HIGH (comfortably)

3: The drivers are relatively stable.

I have done some tests of my own, but i would like the input of other M1730 users, or anyone working on a SLI rig.

I started with the DELL drivers supplied (and these lasted all of 10 mins) which got me a good 20 FPS on MED!

Then i moved to 169.25 which were stable, and gave me better FPS (around 28 - 30 FPS on MED, and still not hight enough for what i wanted)

then i moved to 169.28 which i had no complaints (except that i like to have the latest drivers available... soo

i moved to 171.16 which were very unstable and had to be reset to use SLI (they also didnt last too long)

Next up was 173.80 which seem to be the best giving a solid 32- 35 FPS on MED and didnt require a reboot to enable SLI

and finally i have tried the 174.16 which seem to be the newest stable release since 169.28, and dont require a reboot to enable SLI BUT they DROP MY FRAME RATE TO 24 FPS!

anywho, i was wondering what the community had to say about all this SLI crap, and what drivers your running.

I'm still waiting on that Magical Driver to come along, and play CRYSIS on HIGH at 60FPS (hell i'd be happy with MED at 60FPS) but it seems that i may be out of luck.

Thanks,

Steve.

Edited by fleven_2001

Hello,

Did you try the drivers for the 8700m sli on the nvidia site ? they are in the beta part.

Hope for you they will be good enough :)

Cojy

I'm still waiting on that Magical Driver to come along, and play CRYSIS on HIGH at 60FPS (hell i'd be happy with MED at 60FPS) but it seems that i may be out of luck.

Thanks,

Steve.

You are living in a magical world of make believe if you think a driver can bump you up an extra 30fps on high on Crysis !!!

forget it, drivers are not mystical framerate pixie dust throwers.

You are living in a magical world of make believe if you think a driver can bump you up an extra 30fps on high on Crysis !!!

forget it, drivers are not mystical framerate pixie dust throwers.

No DUH! Dont you think i know this... i was just wondering what drivers other people are using. However given the laptop's specs, i would like to see a solid 40FPS with a set of descent drivers.

Hello,

Did you try the drivers for the 8700m sli on the nvidia site ? they are in the beta part.

Hope for you they will be good enough :)

Cojy

Cheers for that, i'm downloading and trying NOW. Fingers crossed.

Just a quick update:

I have now tested the 167.51 NVIDIA drivers and found them to be stable but slow: i get 21FPS in CRYSIS

Before i did these tests i reformatted to get the best results:

All tests were done in CRYSIS with SLI (no overclocking)

Driver: 167.51 - FPS MED: 21 - FPS HIGH: 10

Driver: 169.28 - FPS MED: 21* - FPS HIGH: 11*

Driver: 173.80 - FPS MED: 35 - FPS HIGH: 14

Driver: 174.16 - FPS MED: 32 - FPS HIGH: 12

*note: although the 169 driver has a lower framerate, somehow it seemed smoother than 173 whilst playing.

So i have decided to either go with the 169.28 or the 173.80 and overrclock.

My next question is what have people found to be a safe overclock for the 8700M SLI?

Edited by fleven_2001

• 2 weeks later...
Just a quick update:

I have now tested the 167.51 NVIDIA drivers and found them to be stable but slow: i get 21FPS in CRYSIS

Before i did these tests i reformatted to get the best results:

All tests were done in CRYSIS with SLI (no overclocking)

Driver: 167.51 - FPS MED: 21 - FPS HIGH: 10

Driver: 169.28 - FPS MED: 21* - FPS HIGH: 11*

Driver: 173.80 - FPS MED: 35 - FPS HIGH: 14

Driver: 174.16 - FPS MED: 32 - FPS HIGH: 12

*note: although the 169 driver has a lower framerate, somehow it seemed smoother than 173 whilst playing.

So i have decided to either go with the 169.28 or the 173.80 and overrclock.

My next question is what have people found to be a safe overclock for the 8700M SLI?

When I had my 8700SLI I overclocked the cards and I was able to get 8863 in 3dmark06 at 750 gpu, 1500 shader and 1025 on memory. I think my max temp was 80 or so.

• 2 months later...
For this test i have had a few criteria:

1: i can enable and disable SLI WITHOUT restarting (i use a dual monitor setup at work)

2: i can play CRYSIS on HIGH (comfortably)

3: The drivers are relatively stable.

I have done some tests of my own, but i would like the input of other M1730 users, or anyone working on a SLI rig.

I started with the DELL drivers supplied (and these lasted all of 10 mins) which got me a good 20 FPS on MED!

Then i moved to 169.25 which were stable, and gave me better FPS (around 28 - 30 FPS on MED, and still not hight enough for what i wanted)

then i moved to 169.28 which i had no complaints (except that i like to have the latest drivers available... soo

i moved to 171.16 which were very unstable and had to be reset to use SLI (they also didnt last too long)

Next up was 173.80 which seem to be the best giving a solid 32- 35 FPS on MED and didnt require a reboot to enable SLI

and finally i have tried the 174.16 which seem to be the newest stable release since 169.28, and dont require a reboot to enable SLI BUT they DROP MY FRAME RATE TO 24 FPS!

anywho, i was wondering what the community had to say about all this SLI crap, and what drivers your running.

Thanks,

Steve.

I also had some problem with with SLI in my m1730. I've got the 8800M SLI card with the X9000 cpu.

SLI didnt work properly. But I think i figure out the problem.

I installed some drivers, 167.51 and 174.82 To test it out, but SLI was just not working.,

the performance was just ridiculous. So after research and almost getting crazy... i did this.....,

1. Disable AgeiaPhysx Card. (go to Device Manager, just disable, you dont have to uninstall)

2. Install drivers. (175.16 or 175.12 I recommend)

3. Restart Machine

4. Enable SLI (Nvidia control panel)... and Restart again.

5. SLI SHOULD BE WORKING GREAT! AFTER THAT.

6. If you see that performance is what you expected , then you can Enable AgeiaPhysx again. (and test SLI again).

8. Should be just fine by now. (SLI + Ageiaphysx).

9. Im getting 55 fps - 60 fps. at the beggining of 3dmark06 test. Without SLI enabled, you get 25 - 28 fps.

10. If SLI, stops to work again (it shouldn't though)... but just do the same thing.. Disable AgeiaPhysx. Enable SLI. RESTART, done.

Conclusion.....

AgeiaPhysx Card must be creating some conflict, since it uses a Pci Express port... same type of port as the video cards.

Im just guessing about the conflict, due my own experimentation. But it finally fixed my problem using the 175.12 Drivers (Forceware). I've put the average scores from Notebookforum for comparison.

AquaMark 145,564 (avg: 153,102)

3Dmark01: 42259

3Dmark03: 47857

3DMark05: 21181 (avg: 21,042)

3Dmark06 : 14165 (avg: 13,879)

3DMark Vantage: P6495 (avg:7878)

cpu: 9197 (Oced at 3.4Ghz) (avg: 8229)

gpu: 5935 (stock) (avg: 7939)

So I can say now.... the Machine is great.

I hope this will help many, who are frustated with the performance of SLI Setups on DELL laptops M1730.

good luck to all.

Edited by despat

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Steve,

I am thinking of buying the 1730, I live in Secert Harbour south of Perth.

I'm looking for somebody how owns this machine so that I can see it before purchase, if you are close to my home perhaps we could meet somewhere for a coffe and a chat in a public place.

Regards Ron