LaptopVideo2Go Forums

v174.31 VISTA 32bit | ACER, ASUS, DELL, LENOVO

mobilenvidia

38 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied by the quality of this driver and can you recommend it for other users?

• No
    • Yes
    • Yes, even though i noticed a few bugs.

these just boosted my 3dmark06 scores another 100 pts. anyone who has been having the problem with fluctuating clock speeds needs this driver cause it fixes that problem. best driver so far

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobilenvidia

• GaryHook

• Dox

• djrayon

Guest Enlightener

I own a Toshiba X200 and have had compatibility issues with modded nvidia drivers from the start. But my bluescreens have disappeared with the 17x.xx series, so everyone with a X200 (or X205 in the states) should try these out. Definitely the best drivers I've tried, with 4632 in 3Dmark 06 (in Vista) and stellar 3D-performance in both DX9 and DX10. Crysis runs smoothly in DX10 with Very high textures and a mix of high and medium settings, 1680x1050 resolution.

Evereone who has a problem with HD-DVD playback on any laptop should know that it only works with the original drivers since the manufacturer adds information on hardware playback (GPU helps to decode video). You can still watch HD-DVD if you want to, but you need a second playback software that supports software playback (the CPU does all the decoding). At least that's better then changing drivers everytime you want to watch a movie.

Guest googler

These drivers have been quite good so far. No issues to report. Vista score is now 4.6 for aero and 5.3 for gaming on my 8600M GS. Powermizer works fine, but now it can also dim your screen even though the notebook is plugged in. I have also not had any issues so far with my system not wanting to go into sleep. The temperatures are also better with these drivers, instead of idling at 55 now it is at 50-52. Playing games like Call of Duty 4 and Age of Empires 3 also work good.

These are some of the best drivers so far.

Vista gaming score went up by .1, areo 5.9 and gaming from 5.7 to 5.8 :)

An excellent driver! No glitches/faults of any kind, stable and fast, a bit better than 169.61, with new CP functions like Max. Pre-rendered Frames (DirectX only). Powermizer and nTune/overclocking both work perfectly well. and it's WHQL for the Go 7600--256, using the supplied original nv_disp.inf

Edited by hola

How are the idle running temps compared to 167.45?

i have a question. since the 169.xx drivers all the way up to 174.12 vista 32 bit. when i use the flip3d feature, the first time going to the rolerdex view, the transistion animation has slow frame rates. but using it constantly over and over. the frame rates become normal.

this also happens when i minimize and maximize windows, the aero transitional animation is slow, but eventualy goes faster. but if i don't use flip3d or minimize windows for a couple of minutes, the animation will slow down again.

and by the way all of the Source games from steam work better with your modifyed drivers.

my last question is that i resently found out there are DirectX updates for Vista. the directx runtime installer, which is the web updater. i thought was only for XP can be used for vista as well. i don't see any performance increases. i don't know why microsoft doesent use windoes update to send directx updates.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

thank you for all you do

John

Guest Mr3dfx

I too have the 8800M and these drivers say that they are not vista compatible. I'm using the modded inf..I'm going under device manager to force install but still nothing. I've tried the rest of the 17X series and the only ones I can get to install is 171.12. Are there any ideas from anyone? :)

Guest .PoNeH

Everything working except my Half-Life mod (Natural-Selection) is crashing after about 30 seconds from opening. I have a Dell Precision M90 with the 2500M video card. So, if I'm not mistaken, I should have used the nvdm.inf from the Original_infs.zip file correct? I just extracted that single .inf to the main folder and deleted the other .inf that was there. Did I do the right thing?

Guest googler

Actually the only thing I noticed is that when the smartdimmer kicks in, it will not come out, by moving the mouse. Hitting FN+F8 will bring it back up to high again though. Otherwise its a great driver.

Guest Guest- 8800M
I too have the 8800M and these drivers say that they are not vista compatible. I'm using the modded inf..I'm going under device manager to force install but still nothing. I've tried the rest of the 17X series and the only ones I can get to install is 171.12. Are there any ideas from anyone? :)

Mr3dfx - I have the same issues.. no idea how to fix it either...

idle temps still high like the previous drivers, got up to 70C and for some reason the gpu clocks don't decrease when i'm not doing anything like previous drivers

just installed them then for my 8600m gt. all seems to be fine. no different really, i havnt checked the temps though. when i installed it, it still asked for a driver check , i thought these were whql certified?

any idea if this could be made to work with GeForce FX Go 5200?

From the modified Inf:

NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0324.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX Go 5200 64MB"

NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0325.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX Go 5250/5500 "

NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0328.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX Go 5200 32/64M "

best driver so far for my 8600MGT

3DMark got 100 point boost

temp is almost same as 174.20

only one issue. i got only 4 display resolution options

1280 x 800 (native), 1280 x 720, 1024 x 768, 800 x 600

other older drivers (168.28, 173.80, 174.20 etc) have option like 1024 x 640

i have installed these drivers on vista, i have 8800m gtx, and it installed correctly.

but it downclocked my card so dont bother.

Installed on my Asus F3SV-x4 with an 8600M GS. Unlike previous 174.xx drivers, this one works correctly with Fn-F8 key to switch between internal and external monitors. Previous version would give me a "rundll" error. Still no over clocking ability with Ntune. And when it allegedly outputs 1366x768 resolution (native on my flat panel), it doesn't really. I have to resize the desktop in the Nvidia control panel for HDTV to make it fill the display. However, this is a common issue with any recent Nvidia driver. Even a friends POS Toshiba laptop with built in Intel graphics will do it correctly. Why can't Nvidia?

Even though this is allegedly an Asus WHQL driver version, I still had to use the modded inf to get it to install.

Jon

These driver works perfect for me. Everybody is just looking for the performance, but don't forget that nvidia is including new SLI profiles too.

Adoe

Guest Kasi_NB

hallo kann hier auch jemand deutsch??? :-)...habe jetzte nämlich auch den treiber installiert 174,31 mich wundert nur warum ich ihn diesmal ohne die modinf installieren konnte,,,,,,kann mir das mal jemand erklären,,,,,ist der treiber dann nun vollständig ohne modinf installiert

mfg

I'm starting testing for HP/CompaqVoodooPC series right now. INF also is being updated to reflect new GPU additions.

BTW Pieter... double check the INF because you have a few items listed twice in the GPU naming area at the bottom.