LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell M90 with 512MB NVIDIA Quadro FX 2500M

gamergyrl

I play everquest2, which is an older game, on my old dell inspiron 6400. I've been drooling at the 17" WUXGA laptops for over a year now, but they have been out of my reach moneywize. Today i was trolling around the dell site and found a coupon for 15% off the precision laptops in the outlet, which are a lot like the XPS without the funky lights and racing stripes. I found a M90 with a 512MB NVIDIA Quadro FX 2500M that i could afford, it was just under a thousand dollars with the coupon, and that's with a 3 year on site warranty and a new copy of norton antivirus. The specs are at the bottom of the post. Ok, so its not the vigor I was looking at, and its a core duo not a core 2 duo, but I also picked up 4 GB ram on ebay today to slap into it when it gets here for about $80. So for the $1100 I scraped together, its a decent system, 17", WUXGA, 512MG dedicated graphics, 4GB RAM, bluetooth, etc. I travel for work and play in a guild, so its imperative for my gaming system to be mobile cause i am. It was in the outlet section and it was labeled as scratch and dent.

I've been reading that the drivers that are going to ship with it are not optimal for gaming, but the card is just like a 7900 gtx or 7800. Could someone tell me how to tweak the system to optimize game performance? Also, is there any way to get a DX10 driver to run the board if i try out some of the newer games? I'm part geek, but not a programmer.

Here's what I bought:

Precision Mobile Workstation M90 Laptop: Intel Core Duo processor T2500 (2.00GHz/667MHz)

Shipping Material

9 Cell Primary Battery

Hinge Cover

Base Assembly

Resource CD

8X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability

Roxio Creator Delux

Processor Label

Roxio Software CD

Operating System Software CD

Bluetooth Wireless Card

Scratch & Dent

17 inch UltraSharp Wide Screen UXGA Laptop Screen

Hardware is Microsoft Vista Capable

Processor Label

Keyboard On Notebook

3945 802.11a/g Wireless Mini Card

100 GB EIDE Hard Drive (5400 RPM)

Genuine Windows XP Pro

1 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz (2 DIMMs)

130W AC Adapter

Shipping Material

512MB NVIDIA Quadro FX 2500M (dedicated), OpenGL

Documentation

Software CD

Power DVD Software

15% off refurbished M90 or M6300 Precision Mobile Workstations with this coupn! - $169.35

Prec M90 3Yr Basic Ltd Warranty and NBD On-site Service $0.00 1 $0.00

Norton AntiVirus 2008 $39.99 1 $39.99

Subtotal: $999.64

Hint - if you look in the outlet under precision laptops - nothing comes up. so pick precision workstations and select screen size 17" - the 6300 and m90's show up.