LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dual View not working in 11.6x inf's

nightfox

Hi Pieter

I have really liked your Inf's since I started using them half way through October.

Back-story: so you know where I'm coming from

I started off using the 52.16 drivers with the 10.x? inf which seemed to work decently well with my laptop but I experienced some problems undocking. The first problem undocking is that the un-dock button (on the docking station and/or in the start menu) does not work with the modified inf's. The main problem I had undocking is that the laptop screen would not work after going into suspend mode and back up into a normal un-docked working environment (it also would not work if I then redocked). After while of this I decide to play around and find a driver that I could get to work docking and undocking besides the Dell - standard driver.

Where I'm at now

The main thing I found when trying ALL the "stable" driver with the new 11.6x inf's is that I can NOT get DUAL-View to work while docked. Even the 52.16 drivers (which worked in dual-view) with the 10.x? inf does not work in dual-view.

The symptoms

The laptop will work fine undocked or docked and not using Dual-view. I can even dock and mirroring to work (it does it automatically - but the monitor does not like 1920x1600 - it will do it - it's just not happy about it).

The problem arises when I enable Dual-View. the external monitor will work (it has no task-bar since it is the secondary) but the main monitor (laptop) is completely blank - period. I can switch back to just the main monitor by using a stored profile and Hot-Keys. I think I tried using the external monitor as the primary and the laptop as the secondary twice to no avail (this was 1.5 weeks ago). Do you have any suggestions, fixes to the inf's or an older INF I could try?

Nightfox

Nightfox,

Nice machine, send it over and I'll have a look ( :) )

Seriously, have a play with 45.74 this driver has special profiles for Docked/undocked.

This Det was made for the Compaq's Ipac with a nVidia GPU.

I modded it for all GPU's.

Attached is INF version 11.62 of 45.74. The detonator can be found here : <a href='http://www.station-drivers.com/page/nvidia drv.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.station-drivers.com/page/nvidia drv.htm</a>

Sorry I can't be of more help with 5x.xx as I can't emulate your problems with my Docking station.

Enjoy,

Pieter.

Thanks, I like it too - plus it makes a great leg warmer while sitting on the couch. The funny part is that for a cool toy it really is a useful piece of hardware at work (they own it). The wireless networking is a dream and very useful at meetings.

NZ Hmm, the shipping is kind of steep to NZ :)

Thanks for the 45.74 I had already downloaded a few weeks ago but I could not find your INF for. I'm giving it a try - it definately works differently than the other driver especially in NVIEW - I still can't find how to make another desktop - but the docking and undocking work great.

I also gave 53.03 with 11.67 inf a try last night before loading 45.74 and I couldn't even get it to recognize the LCD - period. Driver installed ok - I could even change the resolution to 1920x1200 right then. But after a reboot the LCD stayed blank. The computer worked fine otherwise :? - ie - I was able to Crtl ALT DEL then Alt S and tell it to shut down though NOTHING appeared on screen - the hard drive light did react which is how I knew it was going to shutdown.

I'm not sure if this problem is the INF or the 53.03 driver. I seem to remember a LOT of weirdness when I tried the 53.03 driver 2.5 weeks ago. Looking at the history - do you have a copy of the 53.03 v11.62 inf around still?

I'm going to start looking at your tweaks and such and try to learn a bit more about what going on with the inf's. How up-to-date is the tweaks page?

Nightfox

Sigh

I spoke too soon - now 45.74 isn't working correctly. Things were going fine. I would be undock- the LCD would work. I would Dock - the LCD and Monitor would work. (The LCD is display 1 and monitor was display 2)

Shutdown, reboot - still works fine

Undock (goes into standby) bring it back up

LCD is blank ?????

Shutdown (I know the key strokes by heart)

Bring it back up - still the same problem

Dock it - LCD goes from blank to OK and Monior is on. Check the Settings LCD is now Display 2 and the Monitor is Display 1

Mess around a lot, delete monitors in devices get it back to only recognizing the LCD as 1 (because I'm undocked) dock and it messes with things again

Arrggghhhh! :x

sigh

Nightfox

I also gave 53.03 with 11.67 inf a try last night before loading 45.74 and I couldn't even get it to recognize the LCD

After installing the driver did it ask to install the just discovered monitor ?

The best way to install the driver is to unistall old driver via Control Panel, Add/remove Programs, Reboot.

With normal verions of XP after reboot it will say new hardware found (Display adapter) and ask for a place to find the drivers.

Now point it toward the driver INF you want to install.

Install driver then when finished it finds the Plug and play monitor attached to the GPU, just do a auto install (let WinXP find the driver).

You should now be laughing.

If anything else happens then the driver isn't in stalling properly.

Also Restore CD versions of XP will try to load the old driver (that came with laptop) upon reboot after unistall.

This is where using the setup.exe prog might come in handy with those drivers that have it.

Hope this helps,

Pieter

I also gave 53.03 with 11.67 inf a try last night before loading 45.74 and I couldn't even get it to recognize the LCD  

I guess I should not have said it that way. It recognized the LCD on install. It just would be blank after reboot.

My normal procedure is.

Uninstall drive from control panel - reboot

safemode -stop automatyic install - run Drive Cleaner 2 - reboot

normal mode - finds card - specific place location of driver - point it to the version and inf that I want.

Its happy, then it find the pnp LCD - I let this do the default.

This what I did with the 53.03 with 11.67 inf. The screen worked fine, I even changed it to 1920x1200. The problem is that the screen will be blank after reboot. If I hook it up to the docking station - the LCD will stay blank but the Monitor will be the second monitor in DualView. after you log in - the second monitor is just that - the 2nd one - no task bar nothing. Even right clicking to bring up the properties pops it up on the 1st monitor (blank and un-viewable)

Sigh.

Thank you for all of this help Pieter, I really do appreciate it.

Nightfox

Nightfox,

I can see clearly now the rain has gone.

So what is happening when you reboot the LCD is not the primary device anymore the monitor (no longer connected is), hence the black display.

Do you ever set the monior to Primary at all, I could give you the setting that stops the 2nd display from ever becoming primary.

This might solve problem.

Pieter.

Do you ever set the monior to Primary at all, I could give you the setting that stops the 2nd display from ever becoming primary.  

This might solve problem.  

Cool, that might fix the problem I have had with 53.03.

I was also able (after a lot of fiddling) to get the LCD back to being the primary under 45.74 v11.62 inf.

In my INFs under [nv-tweaks] there is this line :

HKR,, DualviewAllow2ndViewAsPrimary, %REG_DWORD%,    1
Change this to zero

and under the ;Tweaks section down lower in the INF look for this line :

HKLM,"SoftwareNVIDIA CorporationGlobalNVTweak", NvCplDualViewAllowNonDFPAsPrimary,  %REG_DWORD%, 1

Set this to zero also.

Now uninstall old driver, then reinstall new modded INF (with changes above).

Now only the LCD display will be primary and hopefully fixes your problem.

If this doesn't work then I'm at a loss.

Good luck,

Pieter.

Thanks - I'll give this a try on the 53.03 (and maybe another if 53.03 doesn't work)

Well the fixes sort of worked for 53.03. It fix it so that I atleast was able to re-boot undockd and get the LCD to work. I also set a hot-keyed profile to restore me to LCD only in (single display) then I proceeded to mess around and attempted to see how well I could enable the monitor and have it work with the display

Single Display LCD (works ok)

Horizontal Span - works ok - but I don't like the 3840x1200 resolution spanned across to my monitor (it handles 1280x1024 best)

Clone - works ok - but has the same overworked monitor problem as horizontal span

Dual View Monitor turns on as Second display, LCD goes blank. All windows open (unseen) on the LCD. I can hot-key myself back ok - but I can NOT get it to work.

Do you have any of the old INF's availible to the following drivers (something like 11.62 or earlier?)

52.70 (I just loaded 52.71's 11.62 inf on this - but NVIEW is disabled)

53.03 (I think this driver gives me problems)

I'm going to go attempt to set 52.70 with 11.62inf (52.71v) to dual view. I wanted to type this up before I messed around due to the fact that I can't hot-key the currently working profile.

Thanks

Nightfox

Yeahh!!!!!!

It got 52.70 to work in DuelView!!

I used the 52.71 v11.62 inf (No NView :) )

So now I'm pretty sure that there is some change that happened between v11.62 and v11.64 that is keeping me from going into DualView mode (I have tried to get this to work with v11.64 and it failed). I just don't know what the change is.

My dream is to get the computer working using

Use detonator v52.xx or 53.xx

With DualView

and NView (multiple desktops and hot keys)

Added bonus - working well with the docking station

thank you for all the help Pieter.

Nightfox

Nightfox,

Try my 52.14 it's v9.52

You can find it on my 'Performance' Page.

There are also older other INFs there as well.

Pieter.

Try this 53.03 INF, I've disabled all the non essential settings.

Pieter.

Thank You Pieter,

I'll try 53.04 w/ 11.80

and 53.03 w/ 11.69b

I would have responded sooner but the wife and I decided to try and buy one of those big house things this weekend, plus work has been REALLY busy.

Nightfox

Nope

they both still didn't work for Dual View

I'll try a few other things.