LaptopVideo2Go Forums

need help CoD4 error

huskielax08

So I managed to figure out how to get a driver update for my nvidia geforce fx go5700 128meg video card, I'm using an acer aspire1710...

when i load Call of Duty 4 i get the following message.

Error during initialiaztion:

Video card or driver doesn't support separate alpha blend, glow will be diabled.

and then it crashes and it does not load.

anyone have any ideas or thoughts on how to maybe get it to work? or will it never work with this video card?

Edited by huskielax08

Guest Kennie

I believe Call of Duty 4 requires a video card that supports Pixel Shader 3.0... I believe the go5700 only has pixel shadow 2.0... I'm almost certain there is no way around that problem...

Guest Kennie
I believe Call of Duty 4 requires a video card that supports Pixel Shader 3.0... I believe the go5700 only has pixel shadow 2.0... I'm almost certain there is no way around that problem...

Oops I think I made a mistake... I don't think its due to the lack of support for pixel shader 3.0. I think it's because your Nvidia driver may not have OpenGL 2.0 support. Seperate Alpha Blending is an OpenGL 2 feature. If you could find a driver to change that it may be able to run COD4... Try installing a different or newer driver.

Sorry for the post above.

There may be a work around after all ^_^;;

It's not due to the lack of support for PS 3.0. It is because the stupid Nvidia driver doesn't have OpenGL 2.0 support. Separate Alpha Blending is an OpenGL 2 feature. If somehow it could be enabled from within the driver the game would work perfectly. I played it on a Radeon 9550 AGP 8X 256 MB, which is much inferior to 5900 XT from the processing power point of view. It has, however, the Catalyst drivers which offer native support for OpenGL 2 and thus, separate alpha blending.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...