LaptopVideo2Go Forums

My fantastic Amilo M3438G has done it again

Guest dts4theworld

Guest dts4theworld

Hello people,

I'm simply sick of playing along with FSC Service and sending my laptop once again for repairs. To wrap it up shortly, my Amilo M3438G (Centrino w/t Pentium M 760J, 1GB RAM, 2xhdd 100GB, GeForce 6800Go 256MB MXM III) has been nothing but headaches for me since its warranty expired. About 3 months after my warranty expired, my video card died (scrambled screen, patterns, no booting). Sent it to service, paid for a new videocard which broke down in 3 days. Sent it again in service (had warranty for the new one) and got another one, which broke down in 2 days. Again service, and now again dead in 7 days :) . I am simply not willing to send it again for repairs. Firstly because they are terribly slow (computer is down for roughly 5 months from all the services, luckily it's not the only one I have) and secondly because I'm getting refurbished/repaired cards from them as I learned recently.

Now, I need another videocard for this laptop. Please, what are my options and prices? What do you recommend?

Thanks a bunch!

Hi everybody,

I had the same accident a few days ago....same laptop and same GPU(6800)....

Now I want upgrade my GPU with a new one, but on mxm-upgrade I only saw x1800/1900 for my amilo.

So I need to know if here are any other compatible cards for my laptop(even dx10 compatible)

or if my alternative can be only ati x1800/1900.

I saw(somewhere I don't remember)some geforce 8M series MXM typeIII cards...they're not yet tested on amilo??

Hi everybody,

I had the same accident a few days ago....same laptop and same GPU(6800)....

Now I want upgrade my GPU with a new one, but on mxm-upgrade I only saw x1800/1900 for my amilo.

So I need to know if here are any other compatible cards for my laptop(even dx10 compatible)

or if my alternative can be only ati x1800/1900.

I saw(somewhere I don't remember)some geforce 8M series MXM typeIII cards...they're not yet tested on amilo??

Hi,

well of course u can change it to some cards from the 6000 series, which is of course not satisfiing. As far as read here, the 7000 serie should work as well. I can recall a functional 7600 in a m1437 (which is nearly the same notebook, more detailed described on the website). I for myself will try out a 7900 gs and i hope to present results next week. But as far as I heard the 8000 serie seems to be MXM 2.0 (nothing to do with II) and the cards before MXM 1.0 but i have no proof for that its just a sum up of this forum. And these two kinds dont seem to be compatible. I was truely frustrated myself, cause that would be a nice solution. and at least if u wanna take a x1800 or x1900 take the x1900 same work and heat but more power.

Hi,

well of course u can change it to some cards from the 6000 series, which is of course not satisfiing. As far as read here, the 7000 serie should work as well. I can recall a functional 7600 in a m1437 (which is nearly the same notebook, more detailed described on the website). I for myself will try out a 7900 gs and i hope to present results next week. But as far as I heard the 8000 serie seems to be MXM 2.0 (nothing to do with II) and the cards before MXM 1.0 but i have no proof for that its just a sum up of this forum. And these two kinds dont seem to be compatible. I was truely frustrated myself, cause that would be a nice solution. and at least if u wanna take a x1800 or x1900 take the x1900 same work and heat but more power.

thanks a lot....but some cards of the 7series are MXM II?

cause I found a 7700 go card fo a note asus c90series but I thin ìk it's MXM II and not compatible with my amilo.

If someone know where to find a 7900gs ...I cant't find on the bay or on mxm-upgrade.

I only found a 7950 gtx but don't know if it can go into my laptop.

If I can't found an nvidia card, in the end I think I'll take an x1800/900

thanks!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I was a happy owner of an amilo m3438g laptop. But yesterday my screen suddenly had thick blue dotted stribes across the screen. Of course I made a restart, but the screen error was already present at the startup screen, and windows boots with a black screen.

Today I found this site, and I see that other people have encountered the same (or close to same) problem. The laptop is 2½ years old - no warrenty, and I'm pretty annoyed that it failed already!

1) Can you verify that the screen errors are caused by the graphic card (go 6800)? -and not for instans caused by a virus, bios malfunctions or any other thing?

2) Is the only way to deal with it to replace the graphic card? I use my computer for some gaming, but it is no that serious so actually I just want a functional laptop, nevermind the gaming. Is there no software-wise solution to this problem, ie bios update?

3) depending on question 1 and 2, if I install a x1800/x1900, will it then remove the dotted stribes across my screen and my laptop will work as before, just with a new graphic card?.

thanks in advance!

~Toqe

Hello!

I was a happy owner of an amilo m3438g laptop. But yesterday my screen suddenly had thick blue dotted stribes across the screen. Of course I made a restart, but the screen error was already present at the startup screen, and windows boots with a black screen.

Today I found this site, and I see that other people have encountered the same (or close to same) problem. The laptop is 2½ years old - no warrenty, and I'm pretty annoyed that it failed already!

1) Can you verify that the screen errors are caused by the graphic card (go 6800)? -and not for instans caused by a virus, bios malfunctions or any other thing?

2) Is the only way to deal with it to replace the graphic card? I use my computer for some gaming, but it is no that serious so actually I just want a functional laptop, nevermind the gaming. Is there no software-wise solution to this problem, ie bios update?

3) depending on question 1 and 2, if I install a x1800/x1900, will it then remove the dotted stribes across my screen and my laptop will work as before, just with a new graphic card?.

thanks in advance!

~Toqe

Geforce 6800 go , 7900 gs on sale.

Click here!

• 7 months later...