LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Bars of color on power up

Guest Laptop user

Guest Laptop user

I have been having issues with my video drivers as of late, every once in a while my laptop would hang and then black out to return in a couple of seconds. The error showed that driver nvlddmkm had stopped responding but had recovered.

I was in the process of fixing it, apparently the file nvlddmkm.sys in the system32 folder does not rewrite when you install a new driver, so it is old and does not work out so smooth. I was in the process of fixing and experienced a hang, only my screen did not recover. I held down the power button to shut off and waited a few minutes.

So now, I press the power button and i hear the gears start turning, however, the screen remains black and then in a couple of seconds verticle bars of color appear slight at first and then get heavier. I give it a few minutes, nothing else of note happens and I have to hold down power button to power down. I've tried booting up a few times to the same result.

I tried googling a solution, and the only similar occurence was:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...p+bars+of+color

top result.

I'm running:

32 bit vista home edition

Dell XPS 1330

2 gigs of ram

GeForce 8400 GS