LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Help with dell xpsm1730 8800gtx SLI

eklitz

I just bought an xpsm1730 with these specs:

DUAL SLI 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800GTX card

Intel® Core? 2 Duo Processor T9300 (2.50 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 6 MB L2 cache)

2048 MB 667 MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2 x 1024]

320 GB (7200 rpm) SATA RAID 0 Striping (2 x 160 GB)

Now, the problem is that the computer performs pretty bad in most games (for that kind of heavy hardware). I have SLI enabled and i'm currently using 169.44 drivers from this site. I don't know whats "wrong" but i suppose this computer is supposed to be able to run crysis in all medium and 1600x1200 resolution without low fps?

Thanks a bunch for any help!

Guest dtr1au

I have the similar problem with my XPS1730, with the 8700gt SLI.

If i run SLI disabled, games a run fine, and benchmarks (3dmark) run fine. When SLI is enabled the system turns to a snail.

See this post from dell forums to see what i have tried.

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums...;thread.id=8665

Perhaps someone can provide some insight in to what i could try next???

SLI doesn't always give "great performance". More or less games may have to utilize both GPUs correctly in order to see any benefit. Auto and Split Frame Mode also can be very system taxing.

If anything try the SLI mode for Alternate Frame Rendering (AFR) with performance set at maximum all around. Most games have somewhat decent compatibility with this setting (I recommend V-Sync enabled along with Triple Buffering enabled and Advance Frame Rendering set to 3 for best results).

You also should look into the latest drivers from the 174.xx series and see how they react to your gaming situations.

VSync locks your refresh rate down to a stable rate to prevent screen tearing and on SLI cards it syncs the refreshes between the two cards. There is no real con to this. The only con comes when you run a benchmark. For gaming it's good to have it on.

Triple Buffer allows for 3 screens to be processed per refresh rate in the backbuffer. This gives smooth screen flips when draws occur. Again, no real con.

Advance Frame Rendering allocates how many Backbuffers exist on a card in the memory. Normally 3 buffers will more than suffice as it allows the mouse to refresh correctly and gives smooth image flow and transition when draws occur. More buffers can mean smoother imagery and freshrates but it can also lag the mouse. The opposite can give faster mouse movement but choppy image flips. This option has its pros and cons depending on amount set to so 3 is and has been the default and recommended setting.