LaptopVideo2Go Forums

174 driver series vs Gateway 6831fx

Seth Kubersky

Looking for any advice from fellow users of the Gateway 6831fx with 8800M GTS gpu under Vista32.

This model comes with 167.46 preinstalled (works quite well for a stock driver). I've successfuly downloaded and installed numerous drivers from the 167, 169, and 173 series off this website, with no problems.

However, all versions of the 174 series (including the new WHQL release) fail to install. I've tried using both the modded inf and "have disk" method. I've uninstalled all my video driver, reverted to VGA, and run a driver cleaner -- still no go. Using the modded inf and setup.exe, the system goes through the motions of installing, but when it gets to the end I get "the system has not been modified". If I use the "have disk" method, I can see the 174 drivers listed, but Vista refuses to use them for no apparent reason.

Has anyone found a way to get any 174 driver to install on a 6831fx? Anyone? Bueller?

Seth Kubersky