LaptopVideo2Go Forums

nvidia gf 6400 Go keeps crashing

Guest kristian

Guest kristian

I have Sony Vaio laptop, model VGN FS 495VP. I have the newest driver from this site for my gfx card, a nvidia gf 6400 go, yet it keeps crashing when im playing games. I can mostly play about 4-5 mins before it crashes, and sometimes it crashes just a few seconds after booting a game. The crash makes the computer stop and it won't even go back to windows with ctrl+alt+delete, and I have to turn the whole computer off. When I get back in to windows it sometimes complains about an gfx card error.

Anyone know what to do?

Any other suggestions if this one won't work? Gonna need all the suggestions I can get before I throw this thing out the window :)

While in general, newer drivers are better than the older ones, not all drivers work well on every card. Some of the driver threads have polls on them which help indicate how well that driver worked for other people. I haven't had this problem with Windows, but some of the Linux drivers refuse to work with my card and I have to find older versions. Thus, I'd suggest trying a few of the other drivers from this site. Also, drivers from the manufacturer -- Sony in your case -- tend to have a better chance of working, as they're often tailored to your specific card.

While in general, newer drivers are better than the older ones, not all drivers work well on every card. Some of the driver threads have polls on them which help indicate how well that driver worked for other people. I haven't had this problem with Windows, but some of the Linux drivers refuse to work with my card and I have to find older versions. Thus, I'd suggest trying a few of the other drivers from this site. Also, drivers from the manufacturer -- Sony in your case -- tend to have a better chance of working, as they're often tailored to your specific card.

The thing is that Sony doesn't release any drivers for the GFX card either :/ So the only place I can find drivers is sites like this...