LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Acer 4520G upgraded from 8400M G to 8600M GS

reiluke

guys,

last month i bought an 8600GT for asus c90, too bad did not work for my laptop, I cant flash it because black out, no post no boot, i did not give up, i found a chinese forum where they upgraded their 4520G to 8600GT/GS and 2400XT.

through google translator, i registered and translated their postings, found 1 member that sells cards, i asked him via pm if i can buy from him, he said no problem but he only offered me 8600GS because GT temperature is too high for 4520G, he said they already burned 3 GT cards.

march 13, i paid for the shipping and card via western union, last week march 19 card arrived.

here are some pics and proof that our 4520G can take 8600GS/GT and possible 9600 n the future

all transactions were done via google translator (thanks google)

heres the card package with box, card, thermal paste, and china logo pin as gift (very nice guys)

p3254060wf0.jpg

close up of the card, the same as my 8600GT from c90, except the asus c90 8600Gt came with a heatsink

p3254058xr8.jpg

instead of using the stock heatsink, i removed the heatsink for the c90 8600gt card and used that one, i think it cools the card better than our stock heatsink

p3254059wh3.jpg

card fit perfectly

p3254062jc4.jpg

everest information

86001qh7.jpg

86002uo7.jpg

4520G laptop is not MXM TYPE I but TYPE II

its the cheapest mxm laptop that you can get, found 400$ ebay auctions, very upgradeable as long as we can get mxm cards with acer bios.

:) :) :P

:) Well done! What are the temps like now?

Edited by muppet

Upgrading MXM is a difficult process. Its not hard to plug in the card, its more difficult to get a card as far as they are not available as the normal desktop cards. Nice post, interessting to read.

bench1po1.jpg

bench2iq2.jpg

bench3oc3.jpg

temp 59 max 82

tempyd1.jpg

windows xp

clocked 670/1340/450

overall im happy, cheaper and upgrading is fun

Guest Guest

Can you please post the chinese forum's URL? When the 9650m GT/GS comes out I would like to survey that forum and see if there's the possibility of switching out 8600m gt in my 5920g for a 9650m, and if there is, I hope they have it in stock.

chine forum seller sells at taobao, no ebay, he said he can get 9600M though next couple of months, i dont know about 9650 but he could probably get it

Way to go!!!

Great Job..

F%@# ACER support!

• 4 weeks later...
chine forum seller sells at taobao, no ebay, he said he can get 9600M though next couple of months, i dont know about 9650 but he could probably get it

Please pm me with contact info for the seller. I really NEED to upgrade too. You didn't need to flash VBIOS, right?

regioster and ill pm u, i dont want to post his info on public

• 2 years later...