LaptopVideo2Go Forums

174.31 Dell - Known issues

mobilenvidia

Just found these 2 text files over at Dell might be of interest if your machine matches the below:

1) Crysis hangs with a black screen when playing with its graphic option be set to max (resolution - 1900x1200 & AA x 16Q), but system still active.

- Platform: XPS M1730

- System BIOS: A06

- Graphic Card: Geforce 8700M SLI

- Graphic VBIOS: 60.84.62.00.06

- Graphic Driver: 174.31

- Game Version: Crysis Patched 1.1

2) Call Of Duty 4: Select to play new game go through the training course. After completing a few tasks it will direct you to go outside. At this point you may notice some stuttering. Spend about a minute walking around outside and you should observe a driver crash. It will recover after about 15-20 seconds of flashing174.31 driver

- Graphic Card: Geforce 8800M SLI

- Graphic VBIOS: 82.92.2C.01

- Game patch = 1.5

- Resolution 19x12, AA 4X, Sync every frame = no, Everything else is set to yes or normal

3) With SLI be enabled, when set to an external display through display mode, system will auto change back to LCD only after reboot.

- SBIOS: A06

4) When on AC power set brightness to maximum, remove AC and set brightness to minimum. then plug and unplug agin, the brightness won't keep the setting.

- Platform: XPS M1710

5) When setting the resolution to 1920*1080 via component, the desktop can't fit the screen. And fails to resize to HDTV to valid resolutions by using NV control panel.

6) Unsupported resolution 1176*664 / 1768*992 is listed in NV control panel Sedona and windows display properties via VGA / Component with clone mode

7) When closing lid (lid close set to do nothing), the display doesn't automatically switch to the external display.

8) If the external display only is enabled (manually), and then the LCD only is enabled (manually), closing the lid will automatically enable the external display, but when you open the lid, the LCD remains off while the external remains on.

- platform: XPS M1730

1) Uninstall factory driver version 84.69 and reboot, the system would load 84.69 automatically from C:\driver\video. Don't reboot, install 174.31 driver directly, after that, NV control panel can?t be opened anymore and shows an error message.

- Platform: XPS 1710

2) Install and play stranglehold game for a while normally. Press Esc and select "Quit to main menu", then change Resolution and apply it, but Screen is black for long time after we change resolution and hit apply. too much time elapses and there is no chance to apply confirmation action, the resolution changes back to the original.

- platform: XPS 1730

3) Screen corruption when resuming from S3 with SLI on

- platform: XPS 1730

4) Sometimes after resume from S4, clone mode changes to be single mode.

- platform: XPS 1710

5) can't install Sam & Max: Season One from autorun and shows error message. Open folder, run the application to install the game. After finished, the game can't be played and also pops up the same error message.

- platform: XPS 1710

6) When setting the resolution to 1920*1080 via component, the desktop can't fit the screen. And fails to resize to HDTV to valid resolutions by using NV control panel.

7) Crysis hangs with a black screen when playing with its graphic option be set to max (resolution - 1900x1200 & AA x 16Q), but system still active.

- System BIOS: A06

- Game Version: Crysis Patched 1.1

8) Call Of Duty 4: Select to play new game go through the training course. After completing a few tasks it will direct you to go outside. At this point you may notice some stuttering. Spend about a minute walking around outside and you should observe a driver crash. It will recover after about 15-20 seconds of flashing174.31 driver

- Graphic Card: Geforce 8800M SLI

- Graphic VBIOS: 82.92.2C.01

- Game patch = 1.5

- Resolution 19x12, AA 4X, Sync every frame = no, Everything else is set to yes or normal

I had driver crashes in COD4 and all around instability on my Asus C90S, I noted this under 174.60 and I haven't had a whole lot of luck with 17x.xx drivers. I switched back to 169.04, but now am using 174.60 again with 169.28 as backup on my system.

Guest doubleblack

I have an Inspiron 1420 and these are the best drivers to date, but no Powermizer...what's the best successor to these that I can maybe get Powermizer back?

Cheers.

For 1710 owners I still recommend 167.45 from Dell. They seem quicker than all the other recent drivers and run 10C cooler. Like doubleblack says if there are other drivers that have Powermizer working properly then maybe I'll try those but I think they will also have to be specifically made for the Go 7950GTX rather than the desktop version. For now though I am happy to wait for a while until Dell release newer drivers. Bioshock, Oblivion, UT3 and PES2008 all run very smoothly with 167.45 so no need for me to change for a while yet!

Guest peanut

I see the list... and there are more things to add, such as just playing a dvd(driver crashes).

i've been having blackscreen/bluescreen/nvlddrmkm errors for months now.

tried several solutions, several drivers and each time i had the same result.

Hoped the new service pack for vista would have changed that but i'm still at square 1.

If anyone with the same problem has found a solution, plz tell me.

I've tried all the common solutions around and they have all failed.

signed a desperate peanut