LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Call of duty 4 Stuttering

Guest mike0064

Guest mike0064

hi i play cod 4 quite alot but quite recently wierd "stuttering" has occered and is increasing

the stuttering usually is when im about 2 mins into the multiplayer game (DOESNT HAPPEN IN SINGLE PLAYER. SINGLE PLAYER IS FINE)

and there is no responce to anything in the game (can get back to desktop easily) but the audio still plays.the

stuttering its self goes from 3 seconds with no responce to 1 second with responce and back to 3 seconds with no responce etc

and it doesnt stop. i then just cant be bothered and quit the game.

ive read into it and apparantly if you:

turn on multi gpu (even if you dont)

turn on mouse smoothing

tourn off v sync

the game should work fine

i can tell you it doesnt

well thats me hope anyone can releate to this

mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest IRDOC
hi i play cod 4 quite alot but quite recently wierd "stuttering" has occered and is increasing

the stuttering usually is when im about 2 mins into the multiplayer game (DOESNT HAPPEN IN SINGLE PLAYER. SINGLE PLAYER IS FINE)

and there is no responce to anything in the game (can get back to desktop easily) but the audio still plays.the

stuttering its self goes from 3 seconds with no responce to 1 second with responce and back to 3 seconds with no responce etc

and it doesnt stop. i then just cant be bothered and quit the game.

ive read into it and apparantly if you:

turn on multi gpu (even if you dont)

turn on mouse smoothing

tourn off v sync

the game should work fine

i can tell you it doesnt

well thats me hope anyone can releate to this

mike

same prob here,

cod4 worked fine for 2 months with good frame rates, but since yesterday the game slows down after half an hour. After a reboot it works fine for 30 minutes and them the sh*t happens again.

couldn't find the problem, so i reinstalled windows (problem was solved).

I don't run any p2p apps, killed most processes on my system.

Guest mike0064
same prob here,

cod4 worked fine for 2 months with good frame rates, but since yesterday the game slows down after half an hour. After a reboot it works fine for 30 minutes and them the sh*t happens again.

couldn't find the problem, so i reinstalled windows (problem was solved).

I don't run any p2p apps, killed most processes on my system.

Reinstalling windows thats pretty extreme but probobly worth it for a game like that

so p2p networks disrupt the gameplay :) unusually odd but i might reinstall windows thanks for posting 718king and IRDOC

also if you are on a shared network and someone is doing p2p that person steals bandwidth away from you.

eventhough your not dl anything yourself

• 3 weeks later...

I know what causes it, if you have RivaTuner (2.09 is the latest) and you monitor your hardware temp of your card even in the background i.e. hit the red button on the hardware monitor on the Riva Tuner, you will see that when you card temp hits 100 degrees C it will cut your card down to 100 Mhz/ 200 mhz/ 150 Mhz to protect the card. This is not for all cards but some of the following. Its easy for your card to overheat if it doesn't have its own cooling supply (shared with the rest of the system) try playing in a cold room, try no overclocking, try and change drivers (the latest 175.63 beta's are pretty great I think) After playing in a cooler room and less overclocking while playing CoD4 especially, I haven't had one incident of stuttering since

8400M

8600M GS 256 MB DDR2

8600M GS 512 MB DDR2

8600M GT 256 MB GDDR3

I don't know about any other cards but primarily its cards that don't have independent fans in the system and there is just one fan for CPU and GPU. This is pretty much almost all 15.4" laptops.

I never got the stutter in single player but I am 99% positive its because of heat and the cards protecting themselves by downclocking. Somthing about online play must tax the CPU and the GPU to max, which makes sense. Good luck.

Edited by Cain