LaptopVideo2Go Forums

New drivers to have expiration date

sn0wl

You may have noticed that as LaptopVideo2Go, we are trying to bring you ALL nVidia drivers released. However this is not an easy task and has much greater costs such as hosting prices and our personal time spent on delivering best possible quality with packing and making modified INFs. We are relying on ads that are displayed on main page and forum. Thank all of who are contributing and checking our site often to get new drivers but our recent statistics show that only 28% of people come back again to download a recent driver within a week after installing one. Unfortunately this is not enough for us because we cannot get enough money to keep this site running if you just download a driver and never come back again.

As administration, we decided to add an expiration date to solve this issue. From now on each modified driver will come with an expiration date as you can see here from 171.37 INF;

[Version]
Signature   = "$Windows NT$"
Provider	= %NVIDIA%
ClassGUID   = {4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Class	   = Display
CatalogFile = NV_DISP.CAT
DriverVer   = 03/19/2008, 6.14.11.7137
ExpireDate  = 04/02/2008

So what will happen after expiration date is over? Simple: your driver will be uninstalled automatically and you will be enforced to visit the site and get a new driver or a new INF file.

We are sorry but we had to take this precation to ensure your regular visits. We are still discussing the expiration time but currently it will be 2 weeks. Depending on your feedback we can alter the time later on.

Thank you for your understanding and sorry for any inconvenience.

snOwl, as much as I agree with the decision we need funding... this is a horrible idea to pass onto our users. BIG TIME! As a Super Member I have to file an official protest against this action.

I, for one, know that we need a consolidated INF for many system, but if we need user activity we need to break apart the consolidated INF and start doing OEM supplemental INFs divided out into set teams. You guys already have me doing HP/Compaq/VoodooPC work. Maybe we need other teams doing stuff for Dell, Toshiba, Alienware, and other teams to get people to download less of the universal INF but to download more of team releases of drivers and not just INFs.

I, for one, would like to upload an entire set of drivers rather than just an INF because I am constantly being questioned by my users because they are having INF issues. maybe getting teams doing driver releases and testing would be a better idea. More teams mean more downloads.\

Setting INFs to have a ticking time bomb is NOT something we want to push on our users.

I won't have it in my INF and I would have expected better from you guys never to do such an action!

And BTW we did actually discuss this a month ago and I and several others were totally against it. This is no April Fools joke. The joke was supposed to be ATI was shutting us down.

What part of

The joke was supposed to be ATI was shutting us down.
did you not read?

Guest Fat AND Stupid

Relax INF files can be opened in a text editor and you can change the data to a different year. Worst scenario we'll all just goto a different website and this site will get no viewers and the owner here will have to go back to hooking on the streets :) . But I still call April fools on this one.

pwnd! :) :)

there is no way of automatic driver deinstallation under vista with uac. you need admin rights for that! btw. you would need a daemon running on the system to do that - killing it, would fix this "problem" - so, it is a joke...

:) Good Joke

You had me going on for a while!

Nice one!

The joke was supposed to be ATI was shutting us down.

Why would ATI wanna shut you down, more like NVIDIA :)

And yea... you had me there for a sec tbh, before I too remembered you can tweak if urself =P

I just about crapped my pants. GJ guys. i got owned lol... Seriously i spent like 20 minutes trying to find a good steady driver to try to keep... then i think... maybe i should actually READ the post... lawl..

Guest Guest

It better be a joke. Otherwise, farewell LV2Go! I know I am not alone when I say I check this website at least once a day already to see of any new drivers popping out.

Setting INFs to have a ticking time bomb is NOT something we want to push on our users.

I won't have it in my INF and I would have expected better from you guys never to do such an action!

And BTW we did actually discuss this a month ago and I and several others were totally against it. This is no April Fools joke. The joke was supposed to be ATI was shutting us down.

Sorry to say this to all our forum members & guests, but whitetigerx7 and I just weren't able to stem the tide -- the forces of evil seem to have invaded our homeland and robbed our management of their wits! If you want to help us save LV2Go as we know it, give us a little support in the matter. This is your site for the web's fastest Nvidia information, and we need every vote we can drum up. Speak up!!

We are being serious, everything these days has exipry dates on it.

Why not drivers?

Laptopvideo2go.com becomes like a fridge full of fresh drivers, you take them home they expire (like milk and bread)

Then you come back here and grab some more fresh drivers.

We've spoken with nVidia and they are all for it.

174 Drivers are white bread drivers

173 Drivers are wheatmeal drivers

171 are multigrain drivers.

and we are counsumers,

we appreciate there is expiry date for products.

but we like to fast freeze them for longer use too :)

i don't get it ! :S if we go to the inf and just remove that line... i really really understand your point of doing this but undoing it will be very very easy !!

So is adding support for your graphics card to INF but you still download pre-modded INF from here.