LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Malx GeForce Go 7900 GTX new drivers

Guest Richard Hansen

Guest Richard Hansen

Hey

I got a MALX from alienware a while ago and its been ok.

But as many others am having insane problems with driverupdating and dealing with alienware support

Am basicly starting this thread for those who have this machine and are STILL using the old alienware approved drivers like the 86.14, using this driver for malx is like driving a electric car on the AUTOBAHN.

So in the clever guide found here this is supposed the solution.

1) Download the driver you want along with the modified .INF, and replace it.

2) Uninstall old driver, reboot (preferrably use Driver Cleaner Pro in Safe Mode).

3) Install new driver BUT when it goes to install the second card (i.e. The 2nd Continue/Stop installation prompt), STOP THE INSTALLATION FOR THE 2ND CARD.

4) Reboot.

5) Navigate to the Device Manager and notice the second card is uninstalled. Update it's driver by manually selecting the driver folder for the one you just installed.

6) Reboot.

7) Its working

Ok first off all this is not working for me.

Using a normal driver like the 169.09 with moddified inf makes just think a while and enter a coma(blackscreen)

But i did some thinking or maby the lack of it and with the modified inf file i also entered the old INF file from the original alienware drivers nvcv.inf and this way i could install and follow the above guide.

BUT when i was finished at step 7, i saw that i could not enable sli, and got that window in the NVIDIA saying that my card was SLI capable but needed to be connected....

:)

Ok, is there something am missing or doing wrong? am no hacker and am pissed off becouse i have to do this just to get good framerate when i paid good money for this.

Could it be that my chipset is wrong so that i cant enable it anyway?

If anyone have any input here besides the obvious *never buy from alienware again* please respond

mvh Richard

have you tried the new 174.xx's??

the 169's are known to be buggy

Guest Richard Hansen

Yes i can try those i suppose.

But should i then only use the modded inf file from laptop video 2 go ? or should i also copy the inf file from the old alienware drivers

But i guess its worth a shot anyway... it not like it cant get worse :)

ill give it a shot

with the guide above using only the modded inf file from laptopvideo2go and the newest 174 driver.

For anyone else having the same problem

Am having a full spec malx with full updated windows XP and the newest chipset from nvidia, and the good old nvidia alienware drivers installed.

here we go!

Guest Richard Hansen

Well that was "fun"

When i tried with the normal 174.74 driver with the modded INF file my screen goes black after pressing continue in the setup.

And the installation fails in a instance.

Ok now lets try with the modded inf file AND the original inf file from the good old alienware drivers.

Ok now in this way i can install the first card ok, and i stop it as in the guide and i can also install the other card no problem.

BUT

After i restart everything after the installation i cant seem to enable si... ill only get this

MULTI-GPU

Your graphics card fetures nvidia scalable link interface SLI technology.

Before you can enable SLI , all graphic cards must be installed in PCI express sloths with a bandwith of x4 or greater.

Ok this means that i dont have a right type of motherboard and can just lay down and die ?

or am i doing something wrong?

• 3 weeks later...

Try installing the 2nd card first using the have disk method then reboot.. have disk method again for first card, reboot and see what happens. Let the monitor installation complete (might install, I dunno), but if it asks you to install the drivers for the first card, cancel the install.

By installing 2nd card.. I mean install drivers on the 2nd listed video card in the device manager 1st.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

Hi, I have the same problem. So does anybody have a workung solution to upgrade this old driver from the year 2006 to a newer one, and can anybody maybe provide a link to a driver which is working?

Guest Ltty

I just used the official beta driver from nVidia which is concepted for the the Sager 7900 GTX and 7950 GTX (http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_notebook_167.51.html). Just use one of the modded INF files and install the package. You do not have to abort after the installation of the first card, and there aren't any errors like black or blue screens ;-)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Missy

I have tried several of the drivers with modded INF files and can't seem to get any of them to work. I tried both with and without aborting after the first card; still nada. I haven't tried the beta version from nvidia yet, but will attempt to update yet again. Does it matter which modded INF I use, or can I just pick any from the list? I have an Alienware mALX w/ GeForce GO 7900 GTX (x2).

• 2 months later...
Guest Domine

It doesn't matter WHICH driver I use other than the original Alienware one, I can't get any drivers above the 80 series to work at all... and all the 80 series for XP are 2006 or earlier. What you mentioned about copying the other file over might be interesting to try, but WHERE do I find that file? The original Alienware drivers are prepacked and I can't figure out where they do the temp unpack when running the install...

• 3 months later...
Guest Stryker

I'm in the exact same boat... nothing better than the 86.xx series (Alienware mALX w/ Go 7900 GTX SLI). Looking at the lack of conversation after 5 August 2008, I would guess that everyone else has given up hope as well.

Nevertheless, I think you were on to something with the stopping the second video card during installation. There is a new driver on http://laptopvideo2go.com made by Alienware for the Go 7900 GTX called "179.13". I'm gonna give your solution a whirl with this driver.

Hope this helps out what little bit it can.

Guest Stryker

Nope, no luck. I installed 179.13 in everyway I know how and no luck. With Original INF, Mod INF, install both cards at same time, install them and reboot seperately, install in normal mode, install in safe mode, take hammer to computer screen... nothing worked. Sorry.

Nope, no luck. I installed 179.13 in everyway I know how and no luck. With Original INF, Mod INF, install both cards at same time, install them and reboot seperately, install in normal mode, install in safe mode, take hammer to computer screen... nothing worked. Sorry.

I hear you on that one! LoL I'm sure something will come about soon. I have a Hypersonic Aviator AX9 which is just the distributor title. It is a Clevo M590k build with GForce GO 7800GTX-SLI with AMD Turion 64 bit processor. The driver issue is the same though. I've tried all of the latest driver releases from Clevo and Alienware, yet end up with a driver install but no option to enable SLI...a real bummer. So far, I've been stuck with Guyver1's solution of using driver version 94.22 with replaced .xml files from latest drivers which contain the newest game profiles. Using nHancer as well as Rivatuner 2.11 has helped out a bit too from www.guru3d.com