LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Intel 965 Chipset Family

pedroL

Hi!

I would like some informations about the 965 mobile chipset family! I believe I have a GM965!

The GM965 is supposed to use the "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver", correct? This happens because the GM965 isn't supposed to have an non-integrated graphic card, correct?

Is it possible that my laptop has a GM965 and a NVIDIA 8600M GS graphic card? Is this "normal"? And if it is, should I also use the "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver"?

I'm really confused about this issue and my laptop manufacturer (HP) doesn't have a clue about this!

Thanks for your time and your help!

• 2 weeks later...

i got nearly the same question!

i got a laptop with intel gm965 chipset, but cant install the vga-drivers because from my installation disc i can jsut install vista drivers! icant install win xp drivers!

how can i install vga drivers without the drivers?forceware didnt work too!

okay i fixed the display driver problem!

when you got a gm965 chipset and a geforce 8600m GS then just install the driver 169.09 with the fixed inf and it works!

Edited by EnemyWithin

I believe I have a GM965!
Go here: http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/...b/CS-009266.htm to identify your chipset (doesn't work wiith 64bit OS like XP 64bit and VISTA 64bit)
The GM965 is supposed to use the "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver", correct?
Use this table: http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-009481.htm to determine which graphic solution comes with the chipset.

• 4 weeks later...
okay i fixed the display driver problem!

when you got a gm965 chipset and a geforce 8600m GS then just install the driver 169.09 with the fixed inf and it works!

Hi which model you have? can it run on compaq A900 series?

If you have an nVidia 8600, or any other discrete graphics card, then most likely you have the PM965 variant of the Intel 965 chipset. This is the version which has a PCIE link for external graphics.

for my laptop, it's a GM965 + ICH8-ME with a GeForce 8600M GS combi...

weird huh...

anyway, currently running vista x64 with one of the 175 drivers, no problem at all...

Intel changed their "numbering" (suppose it is lettering) system for the 965 chipset. The 945PM had discreet graphics, and the 945GM had integrated. For the 965 series both have discreet cards, although if there was an integrated graphics, this would be on the 965GM, not PM. Thus, both models can have dedicated cards.

add on with image..

30254080hl9.jpg

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know where I can download the WinXP x64 graphics driver for the 946PM?

On the Intel site there is only the 946GM graphics driver...

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

it's 945 or 946???

for all i know there's only 945P/GM family for laptops...

anyway, if u re using a PM chipset, it means u ve a dedicated graphic card...

Edited by ®®®
Removed Full Quotation of Previous Post

• 4 weeks later...

I have the PM965 chipset and a GeForce 8700M GT grphics card. I had Vitsa on here but I installed XP and now I can't get any kind of driver to install for XP. I get a message that says setup cannot find any driver compatible with your hardware. It's the same for everything I try. How do I get them to install? Is it not possible since this system was set up for vista. I'm new on this subject. Any help would be awesome.