LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Overclocking Nforce 610/Geforce 7000m + Forceware drivers ?

Guest Benji Willis

Guest Benji Willis

G'day guys/gals,

I've been stuck with a reasonable laptop that's just downright terrible for gaming after my last one died. Due to finance problems (ie: having nothing) I can't afford my new desktop yet, so I'm stuck with what I've got, and trying to make the best of it.

It's a Compaq Presario F700

AMD Turion 64X2 TL58 (1.9 ghz dualcore)

2gb RAM

Geforce 7000m on-board (the death of me ...)

nForce 610 chipset I believe.

160gb HDD

Vista SP1

etc ....

Now this gpu (hahaha) hasn't any onboard RAM from what I can tell, despite being advertised with 128-256 mb. When using System Requirements Lab software it shows up as having 128mb onboard, but I'm skeptical at best. In the BIOS screen I did change it's RAM access from 64 to 128 (my highest option), so who knows ...

Anyways ... 2 questions.

1st) As it's an onboard GPU, what is the consensus regarding overclocking?

I don't want to damage my system, and notebook motherboards are fragile at best. I used to OC my old laptops ATI 9700 but that's kicked the bucket, so to speak, so I'm fine with doing it if it's not a huge risk. Given the onboard status, I assumed it's hella dangerous for all components. Correct?

2nd) What benefit's could I see from using the laptopvideo2go Forceware drivers over the standard Compaq ones I've downloaded from their website.

Their latest driver details are:

Release Date: 2007-11-12 Version: 7.15.11.5671 A

Is it really worth the hassle? Will I physically seen any worthwhile results?

I've been playing Half Life 1&2, Star Wars KOTOR2, Medal of Honor AA (which ran perfect then shat itself and refused to start, perhaps corrupted file), Sam & Max, Morrowind, C&C Red Alert 2, etc ... I get decent performance in some (great in the older stuff), but would love to see even 4-5 fps more in Morrowind etc (currently between 20-30 @ 1024x768 with performance mods, scaling etc)

Cheers in advance,

Benji

1) i dont reccomend high levels of overclocking of an onboard gpu due to cooling. A discrete grpahics card has its own cooler and sufficient for temp increases.

on board gpu is built onto motherboard and im not sure that it is wise to do so.

2) i would recccomend you try 174.74 drivers you find on this site, mainly because newer drivers tend to have bug and performance improvements for newer released games, but you may find not all functions of your cards will not work (functions like s-video), but if u want the best performance i reccomend you use a new driver.

Guest Benji
1) i dont reccomend high levels of overclocking of an onboard gpu due to cooling. A discrete grpahics card has its own cooler and sufficient for temp increases.

on board gpu is built onto motherboard and im not sure that it is wise to do so.

2) i would recccomend you try 174.74 drivers you find on this site, mainly because newer drivers tend to have bug and performance improvements for newer released games, but you may find not all functions of your cards will not work (functions like s-video), but if u want the best performance i reccomend you use a new driver.

Thankyou Dox.

I'm of a similar mindset re: the overclocking. It doesn't seem worthwhile, the risks far outweigh the possible gains, but I needed some confirmation.

Some first hand experience comments would be great though :)

I'll definitely try the new drivers out.

Again, does anyone have first hand experience out there with such?

Cheers again for the response mate

• 1 month later...
Guest Compaquser
Thankyou Dox.

I'm of a similar mindset re: the overclocking. It doesn't seem worthwhile, the risks far outweigh the possible gains, but I needed some confirmation.

Some first hand experience comments would be great though :)

I'll definitely try the new drivers out.

Again, does anyone have first hand experience out there with such?

Cheers again for the response mate

I would like to say, since compaq decided to make the system more proprietary (as with most laptops), I have successfully used the latest 177.xx without any issues so far. Also, you won't be able to overclock the GPU on this one. They locked this one down to 350 mhz max with nTune, but you might get some success with rivatuner. Your able to at least overclock the CPU, Mem, and PCI-X (via the Ntune process, make sure you save the profile for gaming). Don't exceed 2800 MHZ on the FSB, it will freeze up (during the nTune process it will exceed it, but will be fine).

As you can see, I have the same GPU as you except my model comes with 256mb of onboard DDR2 VRAM. This GPU is a VERY good oc. I sent my clock speeds from 350/425 to 610/740. However, I strongly recommend you dont attempt such crazy feats as me as I am getting a new lappy very soon.

PS. This has all been done with the 158.45 drivers.

Regards

Andrew.

Edited by Andrew55

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Dox. I would not overclock an integrated GPU by as much as 1mHz.

I have the same graphics installed I must be insane cos the fastest i've had my gpu is 570MHx :) but runs more stable at 500MHz but i do run a laptop cooler all the time otherwise i wouldn't even attempt such speeds.

pixel fill rate is up from 0.3 Gpixels to 0.5 Gpixels and texture fill rate has the same increase,

temp under load is 85`C as you can see by the attachment and 3dmark is up from 6000 to over 10000

good luck with the overclocking but dont be as crazy as me

overclock to 450MHz and you wont need a laptop cooler.

p.s

forgot to add i'm using 175.80 64Bit drivers

Edited by peterq2

• 8 months later...
Guest javi_vite@hotmail.com

hey you group of noobs i have the same gpu a athlon 64x2 1g of ram and im runin the overclock over the 870hz its a grate overclock and i havent fry anything oviously i make a few modst to the colling on the laptop, ive changed the black faceplate on the down side of the laptop for a acrilic one and in the giuge space on the side of the procesor ive made mi own water cooling minisistem conected to the small orange fuse in there(+) and to the casis of the laptop(-)

the cooling liquid goes all the way from the fish waterpump to a special pipe i crated from cooper and soldering.

idle temps is over the 70 about 72 or so. the ram is runing at 826mhz or somethin like that and mi procesor is overclocked from 1.80 all the way up to the 2.30 so intel plataforms suck!! mi laptop kick the arse of any high end laptop todays and all that for a cheap acer aspire 5520 forget about alienware or toshiba or hp get opne of those and il teach you how to make it a killing spree machin for games

• 3 weeks later...

since i still need to carry out my notebook to college,i just use a simpler approach,remove the bottom cover of the notebook (acer aspire 4520,same spec) for better air ventilationand made my own cooler using usb desk fan and used cheap cooler pad for casing.now i run @ 550MHz core and 740MHz memory with the temperature range from 45~47/idle to 60~62/load,cpu overclocked a bit from 2Ghz to 2.2Ghz.

• 1 year later...
Guest Praowolf

Sorry to come so late to the party guys. I have an Acer Aspire 7520-5757 (no g) =( I've been running into some trouble recently and what I'm reading here concerns me. My GPU pretty much sits at around 100-110C according to not one but 3 different temps, GPU-Z, Speedfan and the Nvidia system tools thing are all showing the same, maybe its the actual sensor itself I don't know, but the CPU also reads anywhere from 65-86, though I have used ntune (i know its system tools just easier to call it ntune) to overclock the CPU. My problem, is I've been reading all this about OC the GPU, but I saw one person say it's been locked down, and that is essentially what I get. Rivatuner won't access my GPU, ATITool won't either, I can see the card information but I can't change a single thing, ntune just sits there and looks at me funny when I try to change GPU Mhz settings.

I believe my temps are caused by dirt and dust, I'm in the process of moving as well, so some of my PC tools are scattered, so I haven't been able to peel apart the laptop and give it a good internal scrubbing (so to speak) Is the problem my drivers? I'm using 178.49 drivers + forceware. I'm going to try downloading and using the 158.45 drivers and see if that will allow me to OC (I know I know bad idea to oc an integrated GPU, I don't want to OC ALL the time just while playing a game for a couple hours) Basically I'm prepping the laptop to play Starcraft 2. I've heard others playing on this laptop without problem, aside from some minor choppiness, and that was OEM settings, I figure if I overclock even 10-15% I could make my laptop run faster and better. My question is why can't I change my GPU settings? Rivatuner, ntune, ATITool, it seems none of the great OC programs I hear so much about allow me to do anything with my GPU. Is that all down to the driver? Maybe the new drivers took out the ability to change GPU speeds? Also will cleaning the insides out reduce my temps that much? I know it will reduce but I'm thinking, a bit of dust, even hair, couldn't drop temps more than maybe 15 degrees right? At 105, I'm still sitting at 90C. Now just so everyone knows, I haven't had much trouble with this laptop, no random shutdowns, maybe some choppy fullscreen video lately, but other than that the laptop works great, functionally I love this laptop, the graphics just kill me though. WoW would only get maybe 13 FPS on a good day. It's gotten worse over time, which I figure may be the moving around and dirt and dust in the fans.

Aspire 7520-5757

TK 55 Athlon 64 x2 1.8ghz

nvidia 610m/7000m (yayyyyy........)

4gbs of RAM (maxed out)

I dont think any other details will affect information that much right? I'm using the newest drivers, so I will be rolling back to 158.45 as Andrew suggested as he seems to be the expert when it comes to these GPUs. If I can play starcraft 2 decently on my laptop, I'll be happy. I do plan on building a tower soon, money has been tight so it's going to take longer than I thought.

Also as a sidenote, my Bios is v1.31 would it be any good to upgrade the bios itself? I literally have no control over bios, I don't see temp settings, or anything other than drive info, bios password, graphic memory allocation (basically 128 or 256), boot order. That's it, so it's almost pointless doing anything in Bios. Just wondering if that would hinder my laptop as well. Or is my whole premise flawed and I shouldn't do this because the GPU is locked and unable to change speeds?

I can overclock everything easily, everything EXCEPT the graphics, which is the one thing I REALLY want to OC even just a little, like I said I don't want to kill it, but I know increasing the GPU would go a LONG way towards making my Starcraft 2 playing days a reality.

• 1 month later...

Hello nvidia 7000m/610m owners,

According to my finding s the most stable forceware for vista 64 bit is 101.29.

The latest, drivers , I found them to experience certain graphic lag from time to time, like gaming going all well, and suddenly lag , as if the graphic would slow down.

Thru my finding I saw that upgrading to latest forceware 170+, may increase the available video memory from around 800mb to a whooping 1.8 gb, although on-board it has only 128mb.

I think this may cause graphic lag.

I have AMD Turion X2 default : 1.8 Mhz, OC: 2.0mhz , bus speed at 211 MHz (odd, I know).

4GB running at a steady 333Mhz with 5-6-6-16-21.

I found that the proportion between the core and the mem of GPU should be 0.82.

so 350/425, is default. an increase to 450/550 and even 500/610, would be quite stable.

What you want to obtain is a fastes Pixel/Texture FillRate from 0.3 GHz/s to 0.4 or even 0.5. Also, watch the bandwidth , mine is ussually 6.8 GB/s

Also, the PCI-E bandwidth u could change it from 2500Mhz(default) to around 2750Mhz. (PCI-E use ussually by video-card)

The temperture for the cpu varies from 50 (default)to 60.

And the mem card: from around 80 to 90, respectively 95

I used :

nVidia nTuner

GPU-z

and Speccy, from Piriform.