LaptopVideo2Go Forums

50hz refresh rate instead of 60hz

Michael Marley

I am having a very strange problem with the 8600m GT in my Dell Vostro 1500. When I use any driver later than 165.01, the LCD is refreshed at 50hz despite the fact that the display control panel still says 60hz. This causes several problems, including lag between mouse movements and screen response in FPS games like Counter-Strike and Tremulous, and jerky DVD playback due to the fact that 50 is not evenly divisible by 29.993. Drivers 165.01 and earlier work properly in this way. However, I must use a driver later than the 169.xx series, otherwise the Nvidia Powermizer causes DPCs which then cause a slow system and skipping audio. Does anyone know how to get it to refresh at 60hz? I am currently using driver version 174.83 from your site.

Edited by Michael Marley

I found a fix! I just happened to be randomly searching around in the INF, and I found it. In the driver INF file, there should be a line called "HKR,, LVDSReduceFreq, %REG_DWORD%, 1" Change this line to "HKR,, LVDSReduceFreq, %REG_DWORD%, 0" and you should be good to go. I was. You do have to reinstall the driver, though. If you already have the driver installed, just run "regedit," search for "LVDSReduceFreq," and change the value it finds to "0." Then, you only have to reboot.

Edited by Michael Marley