LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Geforce 7000m/ nForce 610 Forceware & Overclocking Q's

Guest Benji Willis

Guest Benji Willis

G'day guys/gals,

I've been stuck with a reasonable laptop that's just downright terrible for gaming after my last one died. Due to finance problems (ie: having nothing) I can't afford my new desktop yet, so I'm stuck with what I've got, and trying to make the best of it.

It's a Compaq Presario F700

AMD Turion 64X2 TL58 (1.9 ghz dualcore)

2gb RAM

Geforce 7000m on-board (the death of me ...)

nForce 610 chipset I believe.

160gb HDD

Vista SP1

etc ....

Now this gpu (hahaha) hasn't any onboard RAM from what I can tell, despite being advertised with 128-256 mb. When using System Requirements Lab software it shows up as having 128mb onboard, but I'm skeptical at best. In the BIOS screen I did change it's RAM access from 64 to 128 (my highest option), so who knows ...

Anyways ... 2 questions.

1st) As it's an onboard GPU, what is the consensus regarding overclocking?

I don't want to damage my system, and notebook motherboards are fragile at best. I used to OC my old laptops ATI 9700 but that's kicked the bucket, so to speak, so I'm fine with doing it if it's not a huge risk. Given the onboard status, I assumed it's hella dangerous for all components. Correct?

2nd) What benefit's could I see from using the laptopvideo2go Forceware drivers over the standard Compaq ones I've downloaded from their website.

Their latest driver details are:

Release Date: 2007-11-12 Version: 7.15.11.5671 A

Is it really worth the hassle? Will I physically seen any worthwhile results?

I've been playing Half Life 1&2, Star Wars KOTOR2, Medal of Honor AA (which ran perfect then shat itself and refused to start, perhaps corrupted file), Sam & Max, Morrowind, C&C Red Alert 2, etc ... I get decent performance in some (great in the older stuff), but would love to see even 4-5 fps more in Morrowind etc (currently between 20-30 @ 1024x768 with performance mods, scaling etc)

Cheers in advance,

Benji

• 2 months later...

your gpu is integrated so it doesnt have any dedicated memory, the memory you is it sharing with the system ram.

you could download some of the latest drivers and try it out, i suggest you reinstall medal of honour then update it

Correct. Your GPU has no integrated RAM whatsoever. It also has a bad reputation as far as Vista graphic speed goes, even for 2D. If I were you, I would upgrade (not a typo!) to XP. You should get better performance with the graphics, however gaming performance will still be poor. Also because it is integrated, I would not recommend overclocking at all.

andrew doesnt seem to have any trouble with aero on his 7000m though?

It's nothing short of miracle too. I'm probably the only one with this card that scores a 3.8 (3.5 w/o o/c) with this card.

However, acer's drivers make aero run like crap for me.

i want your score!!!

I want your gaming score!!

lol...

Cyclone, I said bad reputation. I did not say that all 7000 series integrated chipsets ran Vista poorly.

sorry... :)