LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Nvidia GO 7900 GTX in Inspiron E1705

Cole

Hello I am new to this forums and I have a few questions about my E1705.

I ordered an Nvidia GO 7900 GTX 512mb video card for my E1705. I modded my case and fit the video card in just fine. I screwed in everything and plugged everything back in eager to test run my new beast video card. I hit the power button and nothing happens. The power light blinks twice but nothing powers up. :)

I put back in my old POS video card, updated the BIOS to A09 and even preinstalled the Nvidia drivers but still the same problem. I realized that I was running a 90w power supply from Dell and ordered a new one. I ordered 130w 19.5V 6.7A AC Power Adapter for Dell 9Y819 off ebay but still the exact same problem occurs. Before I dropped another 60 dollars for a new Dell 130w power supply I wanted to ask you guys if the problem with laptop is truly the low watt power supply, as I suspect, or if it is some deeper incompatibility problem. Will buying the official Dell 130w really get this card working for my computer or are all my efforts naught and a waste of time, money, and resources?

If you need further info about my computer just say what and I'll supply it. I'm frustrated beyond belief and just want my computer to run properly. Thanks and hope you guys can help. :)

im at a lost mate,

best thing to do is call dell support line?

because its not like you can just get any grahics card and update it into a laptop

a new card in a laptop requires a compatibile motherboard mostly and just flashing any old bios wont do,

a wrong bios on a motherboard means you cant boot into windows usually

also a bad bios flash = problems i.e cant boot into windows/os

1) phone dell

2) try to flash ur bios again with the same bios u had in before

3) dont get you powersupply adapter just yet.

im at a lost mate,

best thing to do is call dell support line?

because its not like you can just get any grahics card and update it into a laptop

a new card in a laptop requires a compatibile motherboard mostly and just flashing any old bios wont do,

a wrong bios on a motherboard means you cant boot into windows usually

also a bad bios flash = problems i.e cant boot into windows/os

1) phone dell

2) try to flash ur bios again with the same bios u had in before

3) dont get you powersupply adapter just yet.

Yeah but would not flashing my bios cause it not to power up at all like it has been doing? It almost seems like it is a problem with my power supply but calling dell is probably the best thing to do so I'll give them a call tomorrow.

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah but would not flashing my bios cause it not to power up at all like it has been doing? It almost seems like it is a problem with my power supply but calling dell is probably the best thing to do so I'll give them a call tomorrow.

I found out what the problem was. Since I had not gotten the updated version of the E1705 my motherboard could not supply enough power to have the video card operate. For those who got the E1705 with the non-upgraded ATI graphics card, your computer CANNOT support Nvidea GO GX series video cards. The only way to get it working is to replace your motherboard entirely, even upgrading the power supply doesn't fix it.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest Winfrid
I found out what the problem was. Since I had not gotten the updated version of the E1705 my motherboard could not supply enough power to have the video card operate. For those who got the E1705 with the non-upgraded ATI graphics card, your computer CANNOT support Nvidea GO GX series video cards. The only way to get it working is to replace your motherboard entirely, even upgrading the power supply doesn't fix it.

It looks like I'm having a similar problem with my e1705.

I installed the 7900 GTX on mine with the modded drivers, but when I start it up, it goes BSOD right after I log on.

Do you know when the "updated" mobos came out? My laptop is from sep. 2006. I'm gonna fnd out the part number on mine to see if the updated ones have a different part number. Maybe that'll be the solution to my problem.

Or if you really want to change the MB, then buy a M1710 motherboard.... Funny though, because I sware I upgraded my X1400 to a 7900GTX, albeit a 7900GS bios flashed to a 7900GTX, either way, the BIOS recognised it as a 7900GTX, and I bought my 9400 (or E1705) the same time as you...

I have the same motherboard. would it be possible to use this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=024 in it? or would it not fit?

Sorry for the late response. Yes you can use a 9400 mobo in a XPS M1710 but putting a M1710 mobo into a 9400 requires a new case or case mod.

It looks like I'm having a similar problem with my e1705.

I installed the 7900 GTX on mine with the modded drivers, but when I start it up, it goes BSOD right after I log on.

Do you know when the "updated" mobos came out? My laptop is from sep. 2006. I'm gonna fnd out the part number on mine to see if the updated ones have a different part number. Maybe that'll be the solution to my problem.

There is no such thing as an updated mobo. The 9400 has had two different motherboards since day one. One motherboard comes with integrated graphics and will not allow you to put a discrete card in (i.e.not upgradable). The other motherboard comes with a discrete card and you can replace it with any other supported discrete card. However, your problem does not seem related as it seems your computer is trying to use the card. At your BIOS splash screen press F2 and ensure that your computer is detecting the 7900 GTX. Does your card work in safe mode? If so, then tell me which drivers you are trying to use. Also, I want you to confirm that it is a 7900 GTX and not a 7950 GTX.

Sorry for the late response. Yes you can use a 9400 mobo in a XPS M1710 but putting a M1710 mobo into a 9400 requires a new case or case mod.

There is no such thing as an updated mobo. The 9400 has had two different motherboards since day one. One motherboard comes with integrated graphics and will not allow you to put a discrete card in (i.e.not upgradable). The other motherboard comes with a discrete card and you can replace it with any other supported discrete card. However, your problem does not seem related as it seems your computer is trying to use the card. At your BIOS splash screen press F2 and ensure that your computer is detecting the 7900 GTX. Does your card work in safe mode? If so, then tell me which drivers you are trying to use. Also, I want you to confirm that it is a 7900 GTX and not a 7950 GTX.

Sorry for the delay in answering, I was adding a link to other sites and it wouldn't post... Anyways,

Yep, it recognizes it as a 7900 GTX, and it does work in safe mode. I tried to install the modded drivers from the laptovideo2go website, and I also tried the newer versions of the drivers for Vista 32 bit. Needless to say, I kept getting BSOD after logging on. The only way it runs without BSOD is if I uninstall all the drivers and restart. But that only lasts a little while because the computer automatically reinstalls the original drivers and then goes BSOD. Like a never ending cycle. The card is a 7900 GTX with 512 MB. If the mobo is defective, would it run on safe mode?

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=16545

http://eduncan911.com/archive/2007/12/11/w...-is-a-king.aspx

http://www.notebookforums.com/thread206010.html

Edited by Teraphy
Added in links, too many the post gets flagged in case of spam

• 1 month later...

Hi,

not sure if you have solved the above, but if you have please let me know! SAME issues here.... :)

I put a 7950GTX into my Insprion 9400 / E1705. Had to cut out a small bit from the case but fitted well after that. SAME PROPLEM: The power and harddrive light blink for a moment but nothing powers up. powers down straight away...

i thought it might have been that the card is not getting enough power with the PA-10 (90W) so i tried a PA-13 (130W), but same result...

maybe a PA-15 (150Watt) will do it?

just to be certain that i didn't blew my mb i put my old faulty video 7800 card back in and it at least will boot up with the faults (lines, etc. in the display)... however it might crash at a later stage. that's what happened before the upgrade and that's why i bought the 7950 to replace the 7800. so all seems to be "ok"....

because i had the geforce 7800 go card I assumed that my motherboard is suited and that i can put the 7900 or 7950 in or is that wrong?!

i followed a german instruction to replace the 7800 go with the 7900gtx in the Insprion 9400 / E1705: http://www.notebookcheck.com/Tausch-der-No...400.4304.0.html

so what is going on? anybody an idea or solved this? i don't think there is much of a difference between the 7900 and 7950 or am i wrong? It should work?!

THANK YOU!! :)

TIGI

Edited by TIGI94

I'm sorry but it sounds like both of you guys' cards are just broken. I suppose if you have nothing to lose, you can try the newly posted "oven method" over at ocforums (?). It supposedly is able to fix broken GPU's: http://www.notebookforums.com/thread227878.html . Anyway, it has the potential to work for you guys but I want to mention that this should not be able to help at all with bad GPU flashes.

hi zzpulp,

thanks for your reply. i guess i have to accept that both cards are faulty. thanks for the link. i don't have anything to loose so i might just give the "oven method" on my old 7800 card. fingers crossed!!

cheers

TIGI

• 4 months later...

i got a e1705 and i bought a Dell Inspiron XPS Gen 2 M170 HF594 video card 7800 GTX and i read that if i flash my bios that it would work

my question is how do u flash bios and what bios should i use a09 or what any input would help

i have a 9 cell battery and a 130 watt psu

thanks