LaptopVideo2Go Forums

nv 8800 or 8600?

nOOb

Which of these configurations is going to perform better? I wish I could have the intel t9300 with an 8800M card, but I've found both of these setups under by budget of $1300:

Intel Core 2 Duo T5450 (1.66GHz, 667MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache)

NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTS (64 streams/500MHz core/1250MHz Shader/800MHz Memory clock/512Mb onboard/256-bit Memory Interface)

-OR-

Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 (2.50 GHz, 800MHz FSB, 6 MB L2 Cache)

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS (16 streams/600MHz core/1200MHz Shader/700MHz Memory clock/512Mb onboard/128-bit Memory Interface)

If you're serious about gaming then you need the 8800, the 8600 GS just won't cut it. However the 1.66Ghz processor with the 8800 will also severely limit ur game playing ability. You'll need at least a 2 Ghz core 2 duo to run games well. The combination of 8800 and 1.66 Ghz seems very strange, what is the make of the laptop?

If you're serious about gaming then you need the 8800, the 8600 GS just won't cut it. However the 1.66Ghz processor with the 8800 will also severely limit ur game playing ability. You'll need at least a 2 Ghz core 2 duo to run games well. The combination of 8800 and 1.66 Ghz seems very strange, what is the make of the laptop?

well, I'm not a serious gamer. I'm a programmer and do lot of video editing (premiere/ae) and 3d (3dsm). I just figured the gamers were the most knowledgeable, so i'd ask here. I am reluctant to mention the make of either model because i'd want it judged on spec alone (the mfrs are laughable). I'll PM it to you tho.

Im sure that thats a typo...what company sells that laptop with an 8800M under 1300 dollars?

Probably this, Gateway - not bad for this price (it's GTS version):

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4208

That would be the one.

What would stop me from being able to put a penryn (t9300) in that Gateway? They are both socket P... The FSB speed is different, but if I'm reading teh specs right, the penryn can throttle the FSB btw 400 and 800 as needed.

That would be the one.

What would stop me from being able to put a penryn (t9300) in that Gateway? They are both socket P... The FSB speed is different, but if I'm reading teh specs right, the penryn can throttle the FSB btw 400 and 800 as needed.

If the voltage isn't the same, then you will only end up with a dead laptop. For programming, the Gateway should be enough. I do not know where the person who said 1.6GHz won't cut it gets that idea from, it's a dual core. The GPU is the bottleneck for games, even Crysis. The only thing above an 8800GTS is an 8800GTX, or 8800GTX SLI.

Edited by Vashts121

Intel Core 2 Duo T5450 (1.66GHz, 667MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache)

NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTS (64 streams/500MHz core/1250MHz Shader/800MHz Memory clock/512Mb onboard/256-bit Memory Interface)

The gateway is most likely the one I would go for. The 8800M GTS is probably gonna perform twice as well as the 8600M GS, you will notice a huge performance difference. The T5450 may be the weakest link in that choice, but it won't be as noticeable as the difference between the two graphics cards and you will still be able to play all the latest games with that CPU. Another thing to consider is the ability to upgrade. On most laptops upgrading the Graphics Card is impossible. Even with some mxm formats finding the right gpu can become expensive. But with that gateway you will be able to easily replace that T5450 with other socket P choices, and I do believe the T9000 Series cpu's will work in it.