LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell XPS m1330 FPS drop

jooky

I have a dell xps m1330 and have been experiencing major fps drops in games after playing them for about 10 minutes. I have found this forum http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=160545 but have not been able to implement their solution. I agree that the issue probably is heat related since the problem has been occurring more frequently in warmer weather, but I have no idea what to do . . . I have tried upwards of 15 different drivers to no avail. I can surmise that it's probably a bios issue but I don't know where to start . . . I'm reluctant to overclock since the machine is already running relatively hot (the performance stepdown apparently occurs at a GPU temp reading of 105C), but I think that the heat pipe just isn't being pumped hard enough.

This is a machine that should be more than capable of running last gen games, but the graphics card stepdown makes playing even simple games impossible.

Dell XPS m1330

Vista Home Prof.

Intel Core2 Duo 1.5 GHz

Bios Version A09

Nvidia 8400 GS (128 MB, current driver: 7.15.11.6344)

2 GB RAM

I have a dell xps m1330 and have been experiencing major fps drops in games after playing them for about 10 minutes. I have found this forum http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=160545 but have not been able to implement their solution. I agree that the issue probably is heat related since the problem has been occurring more frequently in warmer weather, but I have no idea what to do . . . I have tried upwards of 15 different drivers to no avail. I can surmise that it's probably a bios issue but I don't know where to start . . . I'm reluctant to overclock since the machine is already running relatively hot (the performance stepdown apparently occurs at a GPU temp reading of 105C), but I think that the heat pipe just isn't being pumped hard enough.

This is a machine that should be more than capable of running last gen games, but the graphics card stepdown makes playing even simple games impossible.

Dell XPS m1330

Vista Home Prof.

Intel Core2 Duo 1.5 GHz

Bios Version A09

Nvidia 8400 GS (128 MB, current driver: 7.15.11.6344)

2 GB RAM

i ve been having the same problems, even formated and reinstalled windows but no change untill i installed driver 167.46 and now i get no fps drops at all

though i dont know if that helps you cause i'm on xp with a 7900gtx

I think i've figured out why overclocking the lowpower states on the gpu wasn't working for me. I opened up the laptop and saw how crummy the heat removal system was. The gpu and cpu are attached to the same little heat pipe. I am guessing that the overheating gpu wound up transferring heat to the cpu and then it too was forced to downclock. This explains a systemwide slowdown that I'd see even after the gpu had cooled down and switched back to the high-power 3-d mode.

but . . . I've fixed it. I wound up dumping vista and installing XP with the 158.27 driver and atitools for overclocking the lowpower states . . . things ran a lot better, but i still had some underclocking issues. Then I tried using an old laptop cooling pad that I had forgotten that I had and the problem was solved. The card used to downclock at 105 degrees C but with the cooling pad, I can't even get the card to go over 100C under a slightly over-clocked continuous full load.

I wish I had found a more elegant solution to prevent the downclocking . . . but oh well, I'm fine with a cooler system.