LaptopVideo2Go Forums

ACER ASPIRE 5920 XP problem!

EVA-01

Hello all, I have an Acer Aspire 5920 laptop that came of course, with Vista. I do not mind vista but my friends and I wanted to install XP instead, so i have. Here is the problem. When I open the device manager, I have the yellow markers for VIDEO CONTROLLER and VIDEO CONTROLLER (VGA COMPATIBLE). I have tried EVERYTHING. I have tried to install every set of driver that claim to be compatible with this POS. All I EVER get is the Nvidia splash and then the same error saying that it cannot find a driver compatible with my hardware. I have tried modded .inf files with the same result. The Vista drivers of course fail because it does not find Vista. I have tried going into device manager and using the update/have disk method, which always gives me the error "no information about the hardware was found." This is with OR without modded .inf files. I am about ready to beat this stubborn thing into dust. I have successfuly put XP on two HP laptops that were "vista only" as well as a Dell desktop and an Acer desktop. I have no idea why this horrible waste of money is being so stubborn. Please do not direct me to the 160 drivers and modded inf because I have already tried all of those too. I also tried the actual acer drivers for this specific laptop from the acer site for THIS laptop WITH XP!!!! I am tired, and tired of this thing! Please help.

Signed: Ticked and Tired

Edited by EVA-01

• 2 months later...
Guest Chocky_Cheese

Hi, if anyone's solved this problem I'd love to know how they did it! - I too recently bought an Acer Aspire 5920 which I immediately reformatted to get rid of Vista and installed WinXP on, and have tried so many different VGA drivers i've lost count, with and without modded .INF files, using many different install methods. WinXP is running beautifully on the machine, all the other drivers went on with no problem, but whatever I do it just insists that the graphics drivers don't match the hardware - it seems that XP just refuses to recognise the nVidia graphics card!!

I still have no regrets about getting rid of Vista though :) ))

But any help would be greatly appreciated!

Guest schmoove

This seems to be a common misunderstanding!

The major difference between the 5920G and the 5920 is that one comes with the nVidia GeForce 8600 graphics card, and the other doesnt.

If you have a 5920 (without a 'G'), then the reason XP (or any other OS) wouln't recognise the nVidia card is that it isn't there (!!!) The 5920 has the Intel G965 graphics chip. So you can try as many nVidia drivers as you like - it ain't gonna work no matter what you do!

Find the XP driver for the Intel G965 instead - (filename should be something like 965GM(UMA) v.6.14.10.4727.zip). Should work fine!

Unless you really need the 3D gaming, the 5920 is a great laptop for everything else. If you want to play heavy 3D games however, you need to get the 5920G (or buy a proper graphics card to put into the 5920!)

Hope this clears it up.

• 6 months later...
Hello all, I have an Acer Aspire 5920 laptop that came of course, with Vista. I do not mind vista but my friends and I wanted to install XP instead, so i have. Here is the problem. When I open the device manager, I have the yellow markers for VIDEO CONTROLLER and VIDEO CONTROLLER (VGA COMPATIBLE). I have tried EVERYTHING. I have tried to install every set of driver that claim to be compatible with this POS. All I EVER get is the Nvidia splash and then the same error saying that it cannot find a driver compatible with my hardware. I have tried modded .inf files with the same result. The Vista drivers of course fail because it does not find Vista. I have tried going into device manager and using the update/have disk method, which always gives me the error "no information about the hardware was found." This is with OR without modded .inf files. I am about ready to beat this stubborn thing into dust. I have successfuly put XP on two HP laptops that were "vista only" as well as a Dell desktop and an Acer desktop. I have no idea why this horrible waste of money is being so stubborn. Please do not direct me to the 160 drivers and modded inf because I have already tried all of those too. I also tried the actual acer drivers for this specific laptop from the acer site for THIS laptop WITH XP!!!! I am tired, and tired of this thing! Please help.

Signed: Ticked and Tired

hi good day!!! did you solved about your problem in acer aspire 5920 VGA compatible??? if you already solved it..,, can you me teach how to solve it??? just email me at this email elmsveligao17@yahoo.com

• 8 months later...

This seems to be a common misunderstanding!

The major difference between the 5920G and the 5920 is that one comes with the nVidia GeForce 8600 graphics card, and the other doesnt.

If you have a 5920 (without a 'G'), then the reason XP (or any other OS) wouln't recognise the nVidia card is that it isn't there (!!!) The 5920 has the Intel G965 graphics chip. So you can try as many nVidia drivers as you like - it ain't gonna work no matter what you do!

Find the XP driver for the Intel G965 instead - (filename should be something like 965GM(UMA) v.6.14.10.4727.zip). Should work fine!

Unless you really need the 3D gaming, the 5920 is a great laptop for everything else. If you want to play heavy 3D games however, you need to get the 5920G (or buy a proper graphics card to put into the 5920!)

Hope this clears it up.

This is EXACTLY the right answer. Find the Intel G965 Graphics (not chipset!) driver on the Intel website. Install the version appropriate for your version of XP and it should work fine. At least, mine did. Your mileage may, of course, vary. Good luck!

• 1 year later...

i think u may be correct....

and i found dat driver is exactly VGA Intel v.7.14.10.1409...

bt the prob is there is no drivers in Internet under Intel graphic VGA Intel v.7.14.10.1409 for xp bt only available for Vista("http://www.notebookdrivers.org/download/acer-aspire-5920-intel-vga-driver-v-7-14-10-1409/").

by the way i tried that Vista drivers for xp...it doesn't work....!

bt still searching...................! coz i need XP!!!