LaptopVideo2Go Forums

x1800 fan control issue on 3438 alienware m5700

Ethan

Hello,

I recently purchase an x1800 video card from mxm-upgrade and the install was very straightforward. However, upon adding the nhc software along with the uniwill acpi files, I am unable to control the fan speed. My laptop is listed in the hardware control info as a p71en. Kris had me update the files accordingly which I did and rebooted the laptop after restarting the nhc program. Under the ACPI file tab of NHC when I place a check mark in the "Enable ACPI Control System" a message below states that "ACPI Control System is not yet configurated for this system." I don't know if my bios needs to be updated or if there is something in the .cs or .xml file that I'm missing. Kris has been incredibly helpful on this, I'm just checking to see if anybody has any other ideas as to what I may try to complete the install.

Regards,

Ethan

Guest Guest

hi

you just need to change the name of your motherboard in both files .cs and xml should be P71EN0 if you have that and check in NHC at hardware info at mainboard at product line what do you have there

hope it helps

Hello,

I recently purchase an x1800 video card from mxm-upgrade and the install was very straightforward. However, upon adding the nhc software along with the uniwill acpi files, I am unable to control the fan speed. My laptop is listed in the hardware control info as a p71en. Kris had me update the files accordingly which I did and rebooted the laptop after restarting the nhc program. Under the ACPI file tab of NHC when I place a check mark in the "Enable ACPI Control System" a message below states that "ACPI Control System is not yet configurated for this system." I don't know if my bios needs to be updated or if there is something in the .cs or .xml file that I'm missing. Kris has been incredibly helpful on this, I'm just checking to see if anybody has any other ideas as to what I may try to complete the install.

Regards,

Ethan

Got it figured out, system is P71EN but fujitsu needed to be changed to alienware. All better now

Guest Guest

First thread i found about x1800 and alienware NHC ACPI-Skripts....

wich script did you use? i would like to do that on my m5550 tooo (running x1900 from mxm-upgrade)

and how did you change something in the cs files? i can't open them

Meins

(running x1900 from mxm-upgrade)

Hey, how easy was it to install and oerate the x1900 in your m5550?

Guest Guest

oh easy..

just bought it, opened the service cover (alienware site->support-> search->m5550 Service cover)

unscrew the heatpipe... took the 7600go out.

and then i dremeld some metall of on one edge (very easy just 2min)

put the x1900 in with test Pad form icetea

booted fine..

unscrewed it again.

put the right Pad in and the old pads for ram.. closed all.

installed latest driver from ati Modedd with mobilitymodder from driverhaven finish

crysis and Stalker fun ;-)

cons:

get some hotter than 7600go but with ati powerplay its very NICE (default 7600go doesnt support ANY powersaving THANK Alienware You SUCK)

pro:

FAST

laptop battery is not rarelly affected as 2d seems to be not very power hungry

YES the normal Powersupply can hold it, against all rumers. (24h 3dMark loop, powersupply kept up with it+USB all used+2GBRAM+core2duoT7200)

Ati drivers are nice after they where modified, like omegas nice ati ccc wich helps with powerplay and clocks card down ;-)

Currently i've got the card downclocked with atitool @ 135Mhz core 90Mhz ram and some voltage to keep it stable i didn't drop voltage to hard

atipowersavings would push it to 136Core and 200 memory so nothing special about that.

@Home i use my 125W powersupply because it has a build in usb port for Ipod charging and i wanted to ensure that my battery is savely charged at it highest rating even if i am gamig with my laptop

My original 20V 4.5A Alienware 90w powersupply lays in my bag for work, it recharges the battery and powers the laptop every day and i used to game with that very often. I bought the 120W prior my upgrade as all the rumors said that it won't cut it and get's hotter than before.....

I know when a powersupply gets too hot, the standart one is way better than any third party.

My conclusion from that, any one can upgrade with an m5550R3-i and a similar config without heat problems or anything else.

Config:

core2Duo T7200

2GB RAM

80GB SATA HD NCQ 7200

BIOS 2.07W

Vista Basic (no it doesn't suck at all)