LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Just a confused noob...

Karasu

Ok, so I have a GeForce Go 6150 on a 32bit Vista Home Premium, And I have no clue whatsoever as to what all this stuff here is. What I'm looking for is a way to boost the performance of my graphic card when playing games.

I heard about this thing called forceware and was eventually led here, since I can't download the official Forceware since I'm on a laptop (a HP laptop).

This is where I get confused. When I see your available downloads, i see things like 169.09 and such. I believe thats the driver version, correct? But my driver version is 7.15.10.9815 according to the device manager...which is quite different from 169.09.

So the main question is, where do I get this 3-digit version number?

More questions to come as I get more and more confused...

The fastest way to find that number is:

1. right click an empty space on the destop

2. select nvidia control panel

3. click the "help" toolbar at the top of the window

4. select "system information"

Then you should see a window pop up showing you a variety of things including your "ForceWare Version" number.

Ok, so I have a GeForce Go 6150 on a 32bit Vista Home Premium, And I have no clue whatsoever as to what all this stuff here is. What I'm looking for is a way to boost the performance of my graphic card when playing games.

try 174.74 (good performance) found on this site. its under 174.xx section.

download it and download the modded inf within the same "threa" i.e topic.

extract the downloaded driver with 7z/winrar. move the modded inf into the extracted driver folder and overrite original file.

install via have disk method. More info on quick start guide.

I heard about this thing called forceware and was eventually led here, since I can't download the official Forceware since I'm on a laptop (a HP laptop).

This is where I get confused. When I see your available downloads, i see things like 169.09 and such. I believe thats the driver version, correct? But my driver version is 7.15.10.9815 according to the device manager...which is quite different from 169.09.

7.15.10.9815 = nvidia's code for drivers.

7.15 means its vista

im on 174.82 and more long code name is 6.14.11.7482. the 6.14 means its xp version :)

hope that clears things up

More questions to come as I get more and more confused...

no problem, i'll try to answer them if no one else does,

but im busy with life and gf :)

But my driver version is 7.15.10.9815 according to the device manager...which is quite different from 169.09.

That's 98.15.

try 174.74 (good performance) found on this site. its under 174.xx section.

7.15.10.9815 = nvidia's code for drivers.

7.15 means its vista

My card (NVIDIA Geforce Go 6150) doesn't support 174.74... ;_;

And I get now how to get the 3-digit version number, thanks.

Are there any other versions that are good for performance like that?

Thanks for everyone's help.

maybe try the 169.xx series,

174.16 is good,

just read the thread that the driver is under for their feedback :)

best to just try them and see for urself

Well, thanks, I guess. So I just need to find one that my card supports, right? I have 0 experience in this area, so I'm wondering: If I download the wrong thing, can it mess up my card permanently? The one game I really want to play with is Battle for Middle Earth 2. Are there any drivers that work well for that?

Go to configurationpanel,

then device manager,

next display addapters,

double click your gc to see the specs,

choose the tab details,

in the scroll down bar select hardware-id's

There you should find your DEV en SUBSYS codes.

every driver is 'made' for some gc's, so with every driver there's a list

with the original compatible gc's. If your gc (with matching dev and subsys)

is in that list, you have found a good driver, then yuo dont need the modded inf

and now you have to start looking for a driver that originally supports your gc..

i recommend the 174 series..

Thanks ^_^

I got the 174.20 (which is for my card), but...

It didn't really change anything. Like, at all. Do you know any drivers off-hand that can improve my gaming? Is there some sort of list or do I have to go through like every driver looking for a compatible one then testing it, over and over? The one game I really wish to play without lag would be Battle for Middle Earth 2.

Also, based on your post...can I install any driver, even if it's not on the list, by using the modded inf?

Also, based on your post...can I install any driver, even if it's not on the list, by using the modded inf?

In a word dear Karasu, YES! That is the humble magic LV2Go provides in those magically modded INFs we tell you about in our FAQs. You're free to try pretty much any driver version which matches your operating system [with the odd exception where a manufacturer's hardware seems to really need their own specific flavor of INF for the driver].

It didn't really change anything. Like, at all. Do you know any drivers off-hand that can improve my gaming?

Let me take your dreams and kill 'em..

The hard truth is that your performance is in your hardware.

If you have not good enough hardware, the best drivers in the world won't change anything..

Don't expect miracles of new drivers..

could you post the rest of your hardware?

processor, ram (ddr?), etc..

Guest Guest

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 4/15/2008, 19:34:46

Machine name: LAPTOP

Operating System: Windows Vista? Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_gdr.071023-1545)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard

System Model: HP Pavilion dv2000 (RV326UA#ABA)

BIOS: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.1

Processor: AMD Turion 64 X2 (2 CPUs), ~1.6GHz

Memory: 1982MB RAM

Page File: 601MB used, 3572MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 10

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 6.00.6000.16386 32bit Unicode

That help? Now, I didn't expect me to suddenly be able to play anything at uber-speed and such, but for at least SOME performance increase. I also now have the 174.74 driver.

I noticed something: My Computer Index Score thing increased from 2.2 to 3.0 (lowest score is still gaming, dammit). The sad truth is that I'm not equipped to run awesome things like Battle for Middle Earth II ;_;