LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Help! Corrupted Vista logon screen

sungtakdh

Hi,

I'd like if someone has the same problem or if someone has a suggestion how to fix this. It's really annoying!

System description:

Dell m1530 2.6 GHz, nVidia 8600M GT, Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit. Tried both the Windows Vista nVidia driver and the one from Dell. They all exhibit the same problem. The current driver is: 156.69

Problem:

At logon, the screen is corrupted with random black horizontal lines across many parts of the screen. This corruption happens for 1-2 seconds after the round Vista logo appears, then goes away shortly after logon screen appears. Initially I thought it was my screen (a Samsung WSXGA+), but then if I connect my VGA port to an external screen, I see the same corruption on the external screen.

This corruption happens 9 times out of 10. I called Dell support, who tried to help, but finally said it's an nVidia driver issue (which seems correct).let

I tried one of the recent driver downloaded here at laptopvideo2go, but my problem hasn't gone away. Has anyone experienced this? Any solution? Please help!

Thanks in advance!

does it still happen with the drivers that came with your laptop?

when did this start to happen (do you remember anything u did before it happened)?

Are you able to play games and not crash?

Yes, it still happens with the laptop video driver.

The problem only happens at logon though, so far. I was able to play games without crashing... so far.

Yes, it still happens with the laptop video driver.

The problem only happens at logon though, so far. I was able to play games without crashing... so far.

I remembered when I started enrolling the finger prints to the built-in finger print reader (UPEK driver), the problems started (I don't know if this is the single thing that started the screen corruption though). This finger print app adds a new icon at the Windows logon called "Finger print logon\nPlease swipe your finger." I thought it was because of this that Vista starts screwing up my display randomly. So I went to the Finger print reader app to disable logging in through the finger print reader. The logon screen went back to the way it was, without the extra icon. However, screen corruption still occurs...

I remembered when I started enrolling the finger prints to the built-in finger print reader (UPEK driver), the problems started (I don't know if this is the single thing that started the screen corruption though). This finger print app adds a new icon at the Windows logon called "Finger print logon\nPlease swipe your finger." I thought it was because of this that Vista starts screwing up my display randomly. So I went to the Finger print reader app to disable logging in through the finger print reader. The logon screen went back to the way it was, without the extra icon. However, screen corruption still occurs...

I also wanted to add that the screen corruption did't occur right away after I enrolled the finger prints. (i.e. when I restarted the machine after enrolling, the corruption didn't happened). But it happened a few restarts after.

OH I CAN HALP!!!

Same thing happened to me but on XP, cept those lines would stay... forever

What dell did was replace the mobo, screen & video card, the problem hasnt occured since

In my opinion your video card is faulty

OH I CAN HALP!!!

Same thing happened to me but on XP, cept those lines would stay... forever

What dell did was replace the mobo, screen & video card, the problem hasnt occured since

In my opinion your video card is faulty

If the video card is faulty, why does it only happen at logon time?