LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Uninstalling? :(

Kestol

Hello... I decided to give the driver 174.74 a go on my laptop... Since i want to improve FPS a little in games like CS:S... And i'm stuck with my old drivers that arent ever updatet from packardbell...

So installing it.. Would be like the "have disc" method for vista... But in the faq he didnt uninstall the driver before updating.. So can i do it without?

Or should I do a uninstall of the old driver first???

I read the faq and it said I should.. So if u think I should uninstall.. How to do it properly??? I really dont know...

Plz helm me if u can... I'll be gratefull :)

Yes, uninstalling is always a good idea. The easiest way is to just go into the Windows Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs and look for the Nvidia Drivers entry. You can uninstall there.

Okay found it.. SO after the uninstall do i need to run any cleaner or am i free to install the driver ?

you can run driver cleaner (free from guru3d site)

i usually do as it makes sure the old drivers are completely removed preventing problems :)

OK, Kestol....Let's try a procedure which seems to work for me. You have Vista, but the same general principles should apply just as for XP.

Before we begin, just one simple observation. It seems that for some reason that the 'simplified' "have disc" method we have in the FAQs is a bit out of date with regard to the tolerance Nvidia drivers seem to display during a direct, new installation. Old remnants of the old installed driver seem to often be left after such a simple installation --- and usually result in a sobering experience upon completion of the install.

• Things don't really function properly,
  • Blue screens appear on boot

The symptoms can be varied, but usually a certain cause of panic.

Therefore I suggest doing things in a fashion which usually works, but requires a bit more labor:

1-> Uninstall the current drivers. This is usually best done by the "Add/remove programs" system tool. The Nvidia graphic driver should be easy to find there.

2-> Reboot in SAFE mode by pressing (F8) just as the BIOS screen is about to disappear, since the following cleaning procedures will not function properly in standard mode.

3-> At this point XP may feel provoked to automatically 'reinstall' older, previously installed Nvidia drivers, since they have not been removed from XP's restauration area. If this happens, try to break off the installation if possible. You'll then need to run a special driver cleaner which can also remove Nvidia content in XP's backup driver archive (such as the Cab Cleaner tool in Driver Cleaner).

4-> This step is a bit 'heavy handed' and thus optional, but often helps things get to an otherwise impossible correct installation. Under an account with administrative rights, go into the 'Device Manager' and uninstall the graphic card. DON'T REBOOT HERE!

5-> This step is the key to success!! Now run whatever normal driver cleaner you personally prefer to eliminate whatever Nvidia-specific garbage may still be in the system.

6-> Empty the Recycle Bin and REBOOT.

7-> At this point the operating system will most likely discover the graphic card and want to start with driver installation....

8-> Assuming you've already done your homework, and already prepared a folder with the new driver files to be installed, complete with THE appropriate INF file --- you may now lead the install procedure into the familiar 'have disc' method and have some modest success.

Give it a shot!

• 3 months later...

Extracted this from a PM I received recently.

Although we really frown on PMs of this nature to moderators, I still thought its content was constructive (and thus as an exception worthy of an answer), and thus belonged here too.

Hello Darmdorf,

I recently joined these forums when I discovered that nVidia doesn't support the mobile versions of their graphics cards. I can understand why after learning that all the mobile cards laptop manufactures make are somewhat of a custom blend. I'm relatively new at this, and after cruising around these forums for a while, spending most of my time in the FAQ, I found I still had a couple of questions. More just to double check to see that I'm doing things right before I start and run the risk of screwing up my computer greatly.

I own a geforce go 7900 GTX in a clevo 900K notebook which runs 32-bit win XP, and from what I understand none of that really matters because all the drivers on this website will support my graphics card due to nVidia's UDA, however some drivers will support my card better than others. My first question is, is this thinking correct, or am I missing any key details?

->By and large, yes. UDA is as it says an attempt to produce a 'universal' or unified driver structure as you've already read, which in theory, should support virtually any known Nvidia hardware. And as you said, your card may be supported by some drivers better than others, mainly due to the original aims of the particular driver, or the need for a special or particular hardware element which your card may not contain.

I also happened to come across a fairly recent update (175.95) for clevo notebooks (that run windows XP), and my graphics card was listed in the pink box that had "original INF only supports:" written above it. Because it says that the original INF supports my card, do I just uninstall/reinstall the new driver or do I still have to use the modded .INF? ->In this case you have the 'freedom' to choose either. The original should work since it is a supported item, but the modded INF contains additional features & fixes. Also, should I worry about how this driver update will effect the rest of my notebook in terms of stability and heat? ->That is always a concern with ANY driver, regardless of the asserted correctness. But if you're referring to the 'original' INF, then the manufacturer must be satisfied with the overall stability.

I also had some questions about how to uninstall the current drivers on my gfx card ( the very old 84.63). A couple of months back, I read a post where you showed everyone how you uninstall/reinstall drivers, and you said it's worked pretty well for you so far. I had a couple of questions about your methods. This is the thread: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=18329 (sorry it's not hot linked).

First, to reboot in safe mode, you press F8 when the bios flashes, correct? ->Correct! Start pressing F8 at that point in time when you think the bios is about to turn over control to the booting OS. Earlier is better than later. :)

Second, after you're done with the cabinet cleaner program, do you uninstall it too, ->You can. I leave mine installed, since the next time round it may be needed again anyway! To tell you the truth, I don't know why I recommended that so vehemently! Will correct my post accordingly. Thanks for the revealing question! and then you recommend running another driver cleaner as after uninstalling cabinet cleaner (if so which one do you recommend -- is add/remove programs ok)?->I meant for you to run a driver cleaner with "normal" functionality which includes the removal of references from the registry and any other occurrences in the system. Most any would be fine (CCleaner or whatever). Add/remove programs is what you traditionally should be using to uninstall the drivers themselves in step 1 and not a form of 'driver cleaning' per se.

I'm sorry this message is so long, but thank you for your time. Although I'm new, I really appreciate what you guys do here that makes it possible for inept computer people like me to improve system performance. =)

Thank you very much for your time,

Erazor

Thanks for keeping me on my toes. Those changes should help others to finally understand my gibberish!

• 4 months later...

Hi guys, I'm new here and its my vergine reply.

I'm not an expert with computers and today was the very first time I was studying your site.

So far I've only downloaded all the important files, but I'm afraid to install them...probably because I have such a bad history with computers, they don't seem to like me.

Anyway cut to the chase, I wanted to ask, if you remove your previous drives with the clean-up program and everything, so that they are totaly gone, are you still able to restore your system (in this case restoring the old drivers) from "control panel -> system -> system protection -> system restore"? As for me this is like a back of plan when everything goes wrong.

Thanks in advance.

jabbb

OK, Kestol....Let's try a procedure which seems to work for me. You have Vista, but the same general principles should apply just as for XP.

Before we begin, just one simple observation. It seems that for some reason that the 'simplified' "have disc" method we have in the FAQs is a bit out of date with regard to the tolerance Nvidia drivers seem to display during a direct, new installation. Old remnants of the old installed driver seem to often be left after such a simple installation --- and usually result in a sobering experience upon completion of the install.

• Things don't really function properly,
  • Blue screens appear on boot

The symptoms can be varied, but usually a certain cause of panic.

Therefore I suggest doing things in a fashion which usually works, but requires a bit more labor:

1-> Uninstall the current drivers. This is usually best done by the "Add/remove programs" system tool. The Nvidia graphic driver should be easy to find there.

2-> Reboot in SAFE mode by pressing (F8) just as the BIOS screen is about to disappear, since the following cleaning procedures will not function properly in standard mode.

3-> At this point XP may feel provoked to automatically 'reinstall' older, previously installed Nvidia drivers, since they have not been removed from XP's restauration area. If this happens, try to break off the installation if possible. You'll then need to run a special driver cleaner which can also remove Nvidia content in XP's backup driver archive (such as the Cab Cleaner tool in Driver Cleaner).

4-> This step is a bit 'heavy handed' and thus optional, but often helps things get to an otherwise impossible correct installation. Under an account with administrative rights, go into the 'Device Manager' and uninstall the graphic card. DON'T REBOOT HERE!

5-> This step is the key to success!! Now run whatever normal driver cleaner you personally prefer to eliminate whatever Nvidia-specific garbage may still be in the system.

6-> Empty the Recycle Bin and REBOOT.

7-> At this point the operating system will most likely discover the graphic card and want to start with driver installation....

8-> Assuming you've already done your homework, and already prepared a folder with the new driver files to be installed, complete with THE appropriate INF file --- you may now lead the install procedure into the familiar 'have disc' method and have some modest success.

Give it a shot!

I tried removing my driver with this method, now instead of automatically installing an "nvidia graphics driver", vista automatically installs a "standard vga driver". I don't get any message asking how/where from I want to install drivers for the newly detected gfx card (just like I didn't before). So I tried updating the drivers through the device manager and the "have disc" method, but it won't let me saying that "the system cannot find the files specified", not to mention that when I browse to the folder with the driver setup files it only allows me to select the .inf file (not sure if that's how it's supposed to be). So after roughly 2 hours of remowing, rebooting, etc, I'm stuck with a standard vga driver installed and seemingly no way to change this. No article exists online that teaches how to keep vista from automatically installing its own drivers after I remove them, whether I remove the backup archives or remove the display adapter itself in the device manager or not. Could someone help me here, my patience is at an end.

Hi, I'm not expert and I'm also stuck with my problems...and Im not sure but I think in safe mode windows shouldn't install anything automatically, so if you uninstall the drivers and then reboot and go safemode to install the new drivers.

And yes its the .inf file you're suppose to select.

Anyway bear in mind that I'm not expert...just trying to help

jabbb

Hi, I'm not expert and I'm also stuck with my problems...and Im not sure but I think in safe mode windows shouldn't install anything automatically, so if you uninstall the drivers and then reboot and go safemode to install the new drivers.

And yes its the .inf file you're suppose to select.

Anyway bear in mind that I'm not expert...just trying to help

jabbb

Does it in both modes.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I've been trying to install the latest drivers i found here for my Geforce 9600M GT.

I have the same problem when i try to uninstall the drivers. they keep getting reinstalled automatically after the reboot, and i cant break it.

I've also been looking for a driver cleaner application, because it seems that driver cleaner is not available anymore for free. So i was wondering if another soft was available.

I tried uninstalling the drivers during safe mod, but i was not sure if i had to install the newer version while in safe mod or if i had to reboot my computer and then install the drivers (which get automatically reinstalled after the reboot)

I'm not sure i made myself clear here, but some help would be really appreciated :)

Thanks in advance !

PS : I've also tried to install drivers anyway, i get an error message at the end, telling me the delay for the installation took too long and expired.

Edited by olol

I tried removing my driver with this method, now instead of automatically installing an "nvidia graphics driver", vista automatically installs a "standard vga driver". I don't get any message asking how/where from I want to install drivers for the newly detected gfx card (just like I didn't before). So I tried updating the drivers through the device manager and the "have disc" method, but it won't let me saying that "the system cannot find the files specified", not to mention that when I browse to the folder with the driver setup files it only allows me to select the .inf file (not sure if that's how it's supposed to be). So after roughly 2 hours of remowing, rebooting, etc, I'm stuck with a standard vga driver installed and seemingly no way to change this. No article exists online that teaches how to keep vista from automatically installing its own drivers after I remove them, whether I remove the backup archives or remove the display adapter itself in the device manager or not. Could someone help me here, my patience is at an end.

I'm kind of on the same boat. I just installed Windows 7 OS, and a generic VGA driver has been assigned to my graphics card by it.

However, I think that since you can not remove the generic PnP driver from Vista/7, that maybe you're not supposed to remove those and only supposed to remove any official nVidia drivers. Since you and I don't have any installed at this point, my assumption is to go ahead and just install Dox's drivers.

I'm going to do a bit more searching, then probably going to give up ans just install Dox's driver anyway, without removing the generic PnP driver.