LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Newbie needs help with driver installation

BigL76

Hi all, hoping someone can help. I'm looking for pointers in the right direction rather than a specific recommendation. I want to try a different driver for my graphics card to see if that helps performance, but I'm not sure which drivers are compatible. Can anyone point me in the right direction / forum to pick a driver? My laptop has a GeForce 8600M GS with 256MB dedicated memory and up to 1024 shared, something like that. It's a 32 bit vista home premium. I attached a dxdiag file for anyone that can decipher it. Thanks!

DxDiag.txt

Guest Guest

Your currently using a 101.xx series driver and that as new as I found for that notebook on the acer support site. In the forums here you will find threads on newer drivers like 167.xx and 174.xx look through them and see how others rate them.. many have polls at the beginning of the thread (keep in mind no driver is perfect and will never get a 100%). This is a good baseline for choosing a driver to try. Also have a look at the number of replies to a driver series thread.. this will give an indication of its popularity but read them 1st. Now.. if you have never added a modded inf file to a driver b4 no worries its way easy and you can find instructions HERE the FAQ has all the info you'll need. but if you still have questions ask away.. someone will step up to try and help I'm sure.

good luck and I think you will find a driver newer than 101.xx a nice improvement

You can see here the performance difference between 101.xx and 171-174.xx drivers - it's notable, clearly over 10% on 8700M GT equivalent card:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=16561

Your currently using a 101.xx series driver and that as new as I found for that notebook on the acer support site. In the forums here you will find threads on newer drivers like 167.xx and 174.xx look through them and see how others rate them.. many have polls at the beginning of the thread (keep in mind no driver is perfect and will never get a 100%). This is a good baseline for choosing a driver to try. Also have a look at the number of replies to a driver series thread.. this will give an indication of its popularity but read them 1st. Now.. if you have never added a modded inf file to a driver b4 no worries its way easy and you can find instructions HERE the FAQ has all the info you'll need. but if you still have questions ask away.. someone will step up to try and help I'm sure.

good luck and I think you will find a driver newer than 101.xx a nice improvement

Thanks, read the instructions and installed one of the 167 drivers, much better so far :)

Guest Guest

"Thanks, read the instructions and installed one of the 167 drivers, much better so far"

Glad to hear it and the thanks goes to the LaptopVideo2Go founder/founders? for providing us with a place online to sort this kind of thing out. Thank you!