LaptopVideo2Go Forums

M4300/Quadro FX360M/WUXGA Screen Resolutions

captngizmo

I'm trying to figure something out and I'm hoping someone here might know the answer.

I just bought a Dell M4300 Precision that has Quadro FX 306M video and a WUXGA display. The native resolution of the display is 1920x1200 of course, my problem is when I try to connect an external monitor to it using the VGA port on the back of the machine, it won't allow me to choose 1920x1200 for the external monitor. The external monitor is a 24" with a native resolution of 1920x1200 as well.

Is there a reason why I can't have the external monitor set at 1920x1200?

The only way I can run the external monitor in its native resolution is by cloning the monitors and leaving the laptop display running, the moment I try to switch to the external monitor only, the screen resolution drops to 1600x1200. If I try to change the resolution, the choices go from 1600x1200 to 1920x1440.

My goal is to connect the external monitor up and close the lid on my laptop, don't need or want both screens running at the same time for my needs.

I installed the 174.93 driver hoping it might be a driver issue but that didn't appear to help. Of course the original OEM driver and their latest driver didn't cure the problem either.

I also deleted my docked profile in hardware settings and reconfigured, this didn't work either.

Am I trying to do the impossible here, or do I have some sort of defective system?