LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8600m gs good for bioshock and gears of war or not?

legacy22

I recently got acer 5920G with 8600m GS.

Memory clock=400mhz DDR2

core clock=450 mhz

These clocks look exactly similar to 8600m GT but mine has 16 Steam pros.So i think it will suck in bioshock at 1074 res and all high settings.

if anyone has played bioshock or GOW on this card (in Vista 32) pls let me know the performance.

BTW what is the most stable and fastest and overclockable driver for it?(Other than 169.04).

Is there a way to unlock hidden Steam Procesrs since it looks like a 8600m GT with 16 SPs.(everything except SPs match 8600m GT). They usually do this to charge extra for the 8600m GT(Most acer 5920G come with 8600m GT). :)

All help will be much appreciated :)

I recently got acer 5920G with 8600m GS.

Memory clock=400mhz DDR2

core clock=450 mhz

These clocks look exactly similar to 8600m GT but mine has 16 Steam pros.So i think it will suck in bioshock at 1074 res and all high settings.

if anyone has played bioshock or GOW on this card (in Vista 32) pls let me know the performance.

BTW what is the most stable and fastest and overclockable driver for it?(Other than 169.04).

Is there a way to unlock hidden Steam Procesrs since it looks like a 8600m GT with 16 SPs.(everything except SPs match 8600m GT). They usually do this to charge extra for the 8600m GT(Most acer 5920G come with 8600m GT). :)

All help will be much appreciated :P

unreal3 runs good :)

i have the same one, with a Intel Core2duo 7300@2ghz.

a tip i can give add a custom resolution 960x540 and upscale it to fit the entire display using the nvidia controle panel (set nvidia scaling), i have found this resolution to give the best performance/visuals on this GPU.

u can't unlock stream processors because they truly aren't there, these GPU's were made as 8600GS's and are not low-yield ones like with the nvidia 6800.

unreal3 runs good :)

i have the same one, with a Intel Core2duo 7300@2ghz.

a tip i can give add a custom resolution 960x540 and upscale it to fit the entire display using the nvidia controle panel (set nvidia scaling), i have found this resolution to give the best performance/visuals on this GPU.

u can't unlock stream processors because they truly aren't there, these GPU's were made as 8600GS's and are not low-yield ones like with the nvidia 6800.

thanks for the tip and info.

So u mean that bioshock and gear of war will run good enough?

pls tell me driver u r using. Can u overclock.

Edited by legacy22

For Gears of War 8600m GS it's perfect! Bioshock runs on medium settings...

thnx dude!

but is yours ddr3 or drr2

What settings do you run gears on? what res, ect.?

What settings do you run gears on? what res, ect.?

same as unreal3 :) but you should just tinker around with it.

and i haven't gotten overclocking to work right btw.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RedMartin

I have an Acer 5920G with 2gb memory and the 8600M GS gpu.

Just a simple question (as Bioshock isn't working with the pre-installed drivers) but which drivers do I need?

I've looked and looked and don't really understand. Can anyone point the way please?

Guest joao
I have an Acer 5920G with 2gb memory and the 8600M GS gpu.

Just a simple question (as Bioshock isn't working with the pre-installed drivers) but which drivers do I need?

I've looked and looked and don't really understand. Can anyone point the way please?

i use 174.74 modded frm laptop2video . they run bioshock fine

Guest joao
i use 174.74 modded frm laptop2video . they run bioshock fine

sorry, i mean laptopvideo2go. besides that you need to overclock to get better performances. althought overclocking is somewhat of a ill advice since it voids the warranty, you probably wont have any problems if you increase small amounts at a time ,10%, and test it each time. you should also pay close atention to temperature. remember, overclocking is at your own risk. read a lot before trying to do it.

• 2 months later...

You shouldnt worry much about the ddr2/ddr3 difference, performance will be similar anyway.

the nVidia 8600M overall performs great with all games, at all resolutions with maxed out settings. The problems really come when you go to Crysis though. If you want to play with everything set to very high, you will have to plat at a VERY low resolution like 852x480. However if you leave everything to Very High, but downgrade Shaders to high, Shadows to medium, Volumetric lights to low, you will get better performance out of the card, while retaining beautiful graphics.

DDR2 - DDR3 performance gaps are aroind 20 - 30%

Crysis kills the 8600M series but tbh, that game punishes most graphics cards out there!

Low res 8600M will run crysis well. DX9 also improves performamce.

GOW will run very well on an 8600M GS as does Bioshock.

Unreal 3 and Stranglehold also run well