LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Tricking the computer into thinking it has geforce

Guest quantumkaos

Guest quantumkaos

This may be an interesting question...and I hope it can be answered! Whoever does have an answer you are gods among humankind! hah

I have the game Vampires the Masquerade: Bloodlines. I wanted to reinstall it on a laptop I have and after a week of troubleshooting, I found the answer that it was not compatible with my Graphics Card (Nvidia Quadro FX 1400).

After further reading I learned that the Quadro cards are really just a souped up Geforce card. I also read that there were ways to convert a Geforce card to a Quadro card and vice versa. I have tried doing the latter and it works. However the game still will not run :)

So my question is this:

Is there a way to trick a game and/or the computer into thinking it has a different card?

I am computer savvy and I know my way around them quite well but unfortunately this part of the subject I am unfamiliar with.

If I can trick Vampires into thinking I have a Geforce card in my computer in theory it should work. Might I also add that whoever knows the answer to this question will save the lives of many who want to play this game but cannot because hardware restricts them. :)

So with that said, here is what I have done so we can get it out of the way.

I have gotten a forceware driver compatible with my card.

I have also read other forums on how to convert a quadro to a geforce.

I can get the drivers to install just fine, but the game still recognizes that I have a Quadro Card installed.

I hope you all can help!

And thanks in advance!

QK

you can try using geforce drivers such as 174.74.

all you can reflash your video bios to be a geforce.

this is possible because some geforce cards have a quadro equivavlent but just a different name.

for example an 8700MGT = FX1600M (or something like that)

once you found that out

1)Find your video bios equivalent here

so say you found out that your geforce equivavlent is an 8400M then download the video bios of that etc.

2) Flash your video bios with the guide found here

its preety risk flashing video bios and i take no responsiblity if your card breaks.

or if this doesnt solve your problem.

Guest Quantum Kaos

If this works,

Thank you so very much for helping out. I will make sure you get credit for all of this as you will have saved the lives of many Vampire geeks!

It's really pretty bold to flash a VBIOS intended for a different GPU :)

Please do some research on that topic first and figure if you know what you're up to doing.

yes as ®®®.

im not sure it will work 100% but in theory it should.

according to THIS site.

a quadro fx go 1440 = geforce go 6800.

and

NVIDIA Quadro FX Go 1400 is a video card for notebooks. It is a for CAD and professional 3D applications optimized version of the NVIDIA GeForce Go 6800. Technically equal or similar chip (NV41 architecture), but with another Bios and support for professional drivers.

With the added drivers the gaming performance is clearly worse than the Go 6800 (because of the application optimizing). However, modded drivers can be used, which transform the Quadro FX Go 1400 to a 6800 (for the operating system).

so flashing video bios is last resort. try using some modded drivers first i.e ones from this site.

Guest Quantum Kaos
yes as ®®®.

im not sure it will work 100% but in theory it should.

according to THIS site.

a quadro fx go 1440 = geforce go 6800.

and

so flashing video bios is last resort. try using some modded drivers first i.e ones from this site.

I have gotten the computer to recognize the card as a Geforce 6800, but unfortunately it's still giving me the error. Bah! I have been trying to get ahold of Activision. In reality, all they would need is to configure one of their files with a line saying "hey, this card will work" wouldn't you think? I am sure it's more complicated than that, but all a Quadro 1400 is is a souped up 6800 with more options. Ah well *sigh*