LaptopVideo2Go Forums

nVidia GeForce Go 7900 GS - Driver Crashes Laptop Screen

LJDrv

Hi,

I have a weird problem. I recently updated my Dell Inspiron 9400 laptop with the latest driver from the Dell website. My system seemed ok at first. But, after a few days, my system would randomly boot up with a dark screen. I could use an external monitor and boot just fine. But, my laptop screen would be almost black. Then, it would only boot in safe mode. I tried uninstalling the driver with no success. I tried rolling back the driver and my system wouldn't do it. I finally had to re-install the OS and leave the video driver uninstalled. I have re-installed the OS twice on this system in the past week after installing an nVidia driver and then the screen problem returning along with only being able to boot into safe mode.

Has anyone heard of this problem? Is there a legacy driver I could use? I'm really afraid to install any video driver again for fear of having to re-install the OS a third time.

Thanks in advance for any and all help/support.

were i work a laptop was sent in for us to fix, it had the same problem. The problem was caused by the drivers which were downloaded from the official laptop manufacture website lol. I used the latest drivers from nvidia website and that corrected the problem

This is odd. I have been running for a couple of weeks using the 174.31 drivers downloaded right from Dell's website without issue. Since I have an E1705 I got them from the XPS M1710 part of the site (they are hardware compatible).

• 2 weeks later...