LaptopVideo2Go Forums

BSOD With Graphics Driver

Echilon

For the last few days, my laptop (XPS M1330) has been crashing 1-5 times per day because of an eror with nvlddmkm.sys. I get a bluescren, then have to reboot. Nothing in the laptop has been overclocked, and since this has been happening, I've tried each branch of the drivers from laptopvideo2go.com. That includes 167.x, 171.x, 173.x and 174.x as well as the latest nVida stock drivers.

Some of thr BSODs happen when I'm not at the keyboard, but when I've been here, I get a lot of graphics artifacts on the screen. Sometimes it's a screen with hundreds of multi-coloured lines, other times just flickering artifacts, followed by the BSOD. I've noticed the palm rest has become very hot lately as well. I don't know whether this is a driver problem or a defective GPU.

I'm tempted to open the laptop up to remove the dust from the fan as I know it could void the warranty, and I absolutely dread having to send it back (Had problems with the order and trying to resolve everything through an indian call centre is not fun), and I'd be lost without it.

I need to know - is this definitely 100% a driver problem or could it be something else?

The laptop is a Dell XPS M1330 and the GPU is an nVidia 8400 GS.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by Echilon

is your laptop very hot??

check using gpuz.

if it is then clean out the air vents.

if not your graphics card is fualty and you should consult your seller if still under warranty.

also try the drivers from the drivers cd that came with your laptop.

My laptop gets hotish. Nothing unberable though, my Inspiron 9400 used to get hotter.

I know I could open it up to clear out the dust, but that would probably void the warranty.