LaptopVideo2Go Forums

nVidia GeForce 8400M GS

NuMetal4Life

Hey guys, RivaTuner won't let me change any clock speed setting for my nVidia GeForce 8400M GS. I'm guessing this is because of some Dell proprietary drivers that are installed or something. The forceware drivers that are installed are version 174.31. I'm wondering if there's any way to get around this driver and update it to a version that will allow me to overclock the core and memory speeds (I'm aware that this isn't a great idea on a laptop, but I'm only looking to increase the speeds a little bit). ATItool doesn't recognize the graphics card either nor can I even launch the artifact scanner that's in ATItool. I'm assuming Dell intentionally designed the drivers this way and if anyone knows how to get around this I would love to know. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide me with.

The card will be locked by Dell. The only way I have ever manged to overclock my card was by using Nibitor and flashing the bios. Went from stock of 275-500 to 600-600. Works fine on the 7900GS (flashed to a 7900GTX bios). And regarding AtiTool, is it 0,27B version? And have you made it run as Administrator?

I'll check out Nibitor and do a,little research on that. And no ATITool is v0.26. And yeah I have everything set to run as administrator by default. Will Nibitor work with my graphics card? I'm always weary about bios flashing cause I know if it's not done right it will completely ###### everything up.

If its your BIOS to start with, then nothing bad will happen. It should read it off no problems. Yea, I flashed mine with the revision 0 bios GTX on a rev 1 card... had to blind flash back. Oops! but other than that cockup, all worked fine here. Just keep a backup of your original BIOS when you do a boot disc for it. And obviously when you overclock it, dont just wack it straight up to some stupid amount!

Ok I downloaded and ran Nibitor but it can't read anything from my video card's bios. I'm lost now. Is there any other programs that i can download to read the bios and save it to a .rom file?

Edited by ®®®
Removed Full Quotation of Previous Post

run as admin? then go tools -> read Bios -> select Device... click on ur device. The go tools -> read Bios -> read Into Nibitor

Well I did that and I get this "The current BIOS device id is unknown to NiBiTor". So I sent an email to the address that shows on that screen. I'm assuming there isn't much more I can do about this but oh well. I may just have to deal with what I got..