LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Vista problem, getting stuck in "low power 3d" mode

Guest ildawg

Guest ildawg

i have been having a problem in every game i play lately. after playing for about 20 minutes, the game would stutter, and my graphics card would downclock to the low power 3d mode. after this, nothing short of a restart would make the graphics card go back into performance 3d mode. i have searched all over and not been able to find anything about this issue.

i think i have found the source of the problem. as unlikely as it might seem, it the problem seems to be caused by having a flash drive in with readyboost enabled. i noticed some of the windows logs were complaining about the driver for my flash drive, so i removed it and everything is running fine. just got done with an hour long gaming session, so its looking good. im not sure if having readyboost enabled had anything to do with it or if vista just doesnt like my flash drive. its a Scandisk 2GB drive.

i thought i should post this in case anyone else is having the same issue. i will do more testing and report back if i find any more info

Guest Marino
i have been having a problem in every game i play lately. after playing for about 20 minutes, the game would stutter, and my graphics card would downclock to the low power 3d mode. after this, nothing short of a restart would make the graphics card go back into performance 3d mode. i have searched all over and not been able to find anything about this issue.

i think i have found the source of the problem. as unlikely as it might seem, it the problem seems to be caused by having a flash drive in with readyboost enabled. i noticed some of the windows logs were complaining about the driver for my flash drive, so i removed it and everything is running fine. just got done with an hour long gaming session, so its looking good. im not sure if having readyboost enabled had anything to do with it or if vista just doesnt like my flash drive. its a Scandisk 2GB drive.

i thought i should post this in case anyone else is having the same issue. i will do more testing and report back if i find any more info

let's try this one, seems interesting....upgrading video driver and running tests....

hi, i just posted my similar problem with the "core slowdown threshold". Your system slowsdown due to high temps. Use the sensors of GPU-Z to monitor ur temps, core and memory clocks.

I had to open the laptop and clean the fans to save about 7-8C. Its a little better now, as i also use a zalman cooler under the lap.

Honestly though i am very furstrateded with the quality of acer and nvidia in this matter.